When should I change my sons bed from a crib to a toddler bed?

My son is 15months old and HATES sleeping in his crib. Should I try a toddler bed?

dark_fae

Asked by dark_fae at 1:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why does he hate it? Can he climb out? I wouldn't put him in a toddler bed unless he can climb out of the crib due to the fact that he may fall out of it in the night. I would have to know why he hates the crib to say more......
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We just changed our son into a toddler bed...he's a little past two.

We realized it was time because he fussed a lot in the morning and seemed bored with just the crib toys he could play with until we came in to get him to start his day.

Now he can climb out and get things out of his toy box. He runs to the light switch and turns on the light and then gets out toys to take back to bed. He loves the freedom, and I love the extra cup of coffee I can have before getting him ready!

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I moved my daughter to a full size bed at 2 years. If you move him to a toddler bed just make sure the distance from the bed to floor is not far. You want to make sure he won't hurt himself if he falls off.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 2:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I just answered your other question :) I don't see any reason why not. If you are still afraid he will fall out, why not just have the mattress on the floor? Both of my childrens first "bed" was simply a twin sized mattress on the floor. I find a great deal of childrens furnishings are really purchased because adults think they are cute...not because they are actually necessary.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son would never sleep in his crib when he was a baby, but would sleep with us with no problems. A friend of mine suggested make his bed more like ours. We have pillow top mattress so I bought some egg crate (mattress pad) and cut it to fit his mattress, I put two layers of it and then put his crib sheet over it. Then I put two pillows in there because he was use to sleeping on pillows with us, he has a lot of allergy problems and slept better propped up. Once I did that he sleeps great.

Otherwise maybe you need to try a toddler bed or just go ahead to a twin or full bed. As long as my son is sleeping in his crib, I will not be changing it.
    AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009