Help!! My 2yr old also screeches

I will ask him simple yes or no questions like are you hungry or would you like your drink those type of questions and all he does is screeches instead of yes or no which he knows how to do by either saying yes or no or shaking his head no or nodding his head yes. how can i get him to stop his screeching??!!

MrsTBailey

Asked by MrsTBailey at 1:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the same problem and would also love an answer!!!!
    B.Harrison

Answer by B.Harrison at 1:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son has occasionally been loud about expressing his feelings. I just started to say, "Shhhh" and put my finger to my lips. Then say to him in a whisper, "Too loud".

I'm assuming your son isn't frustrated when he is screeching and just thinks being louder is better.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Perhaps you could whisper your question to him. Be sure you do not raise your voice in response to the screeching. Also if he learns that screaming gets no results but using his words does, he will stop. Children will continue any behavior that is rewarded :) Barring any medical issue such as autism or a hearing problem, I believe with time, he will "get it" if you are consistent. Something to think about. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I am going through the exact same thing. Mine screeches CONSTANTLY all day long.. and it drives me INSANE. By the end of the day I just want him to stop. I keep hoping it's a faze. Mine doesn't really talk though, so there's not really another alternative here.. it's basically his only form of communication. I'd LOVE to know how to stop it though.He often does it out of frustration or anger.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 2:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009