sHow can I get my son to stop sleeping in bed with me?

My son is 15 months old and always wakes up in the middle of the night. He refuses to go back to bed in his crib he has to sleep in bed with me. What can i do?

dark_fae

Asked by dark_fae at 1:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The no cry sleep solution has some good info on this, and also I have seen some on dr jay gordon's site. Hope that helps!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Take him back to his room each and every time. If it takes all night so be it. Eventually, he will realize he cannot win and stay in his own bed. If you can achieve this with "no crying" great! More than likely there will be tears and tantrums. If you give in to his tantrums, you are teaching him that throwing a fit will get him what he wants. If you can tough it out the few nights (A week tops in most cases) it will take to get him in his own bed, it will pay off by giving both of you a better nights sleep. You might also consider transition to a toddler bed as it is dangerous for him to be climbing out of a crib. You may even try a baby gate on his door. Something to think about. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• First, as a proponent of cosleeping, him sleeping with you is only a problem if it's a problem. If everyone sleeps better with him in the bed, it's totally fine for him to be there. He will outgrow it! With this age, if he is feeling like he needs that extra security, and he senses that the more he needs it the more you push him away, it can make him more insecure, and therefore more needy. He's at an age of incredible developmental leaps and rapidly increasing independence, and this can be actually scary for them at times; it's really common for a toddler this age to crave extra comfort at times, to know that you are always there for him even though he's his own person. But if temporary cosleeping isn't for your family, look into the No-Cry Sleep Solution For Toddlers, it is highly recommended!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• lol Take him out and snuggle up with him. I have my 21 month old sleeping in bed. :)
    Jessica_Izzy

Answer by Jessica_Izzy at 2:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my daughter. And, I did what Tessa suggested. It worked for me. You just have to be consistent with it. Good luck!
    Marysmom825

Answer by Marysmom825 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2009