Is it ok to spank a 2yr old

I need help in my disciplining of my 2 yr old son. I have tried time outs before and they only work when he is frustrated at his toys, but not for the disciplining. Is it ok for me to spank him or wait till he is older and how old??!! I am into old school disciplining from the bible about, "spoil the rod spare the child" and spare the rod spoil the child" concept but I would use my hand and only 5 spanks. I have tried 2 spanks, but he just smiles and continued with his mischief. Please help me.

MrsTBailey

Asked by MrsTBailey at 2:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• If someone tells you that spanking the child is child abuse then they are full of it.

As a cop I would make many family disturbance calls where the child would flaunt the idea in front of myself and that parents that the child could not be spanked because it was abuse. What a load of crap. I would in turn remind the child in front of the parents that 6 inches above and below the butt are the "target" areas for spankings and as long as the skin wasn't broken or severely bruised the State of Texas saw no problem in a parent disciplining their child.

My son is 7 and I can't stand having to spank him. He got pops on the butt when he was big enough to pull up on stuff, was told no and did it anyway. Given my son is 7, we start with 7 spankings. IF the problem persists then he gets more spankings. Rarely does it come to that. There is nothing wrong with discipline. Just don't overdo it and go well beyond that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I spanked my child at 2 and he is not violent or an ax murderer lol
    Anonymous

• I say yes. He is plenty old enough to understand. As long as you 1) explain what he is doing is wrong 2) warn him that he will get a spanking if he doesn't stop And if he does it anyway :3) explain that he did do it after he was warned and now he is going to get a spanking because he didn't do as told.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "spare the rod, spoil the child" is right, in my opinion. And NO i'm not a harsh unloving mother, like many moms think when they hear me use that phrase. A 2 year old is totally capable of understand rules and what is a no no. My dd is 20 months old and I spank her, not often, but I have to or she is like your son, just smiles and continues to do what she wants, UGH. A friend of mine explained it to me in a way that I understood. Why doesn't a child touch the stove? Because it is HOT. If the stove was not HOT then the child would learn nothing. YOU are a hot stove. If you don't dicipline in a way that makes your child learn, that makes them unhappy, and uncomfortable, then you are a cold stove and there is no reason for a child to obey you. It is different for each kid. My oldest doesnt need spankings, but #2 will push you until you do spank him, #3 is still on the fence. Do what works best for your son.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• What exactly is he doing that is gettig him spanked?

ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 2:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i do it but not very often...there are just those days when they are not going to listen to you and yes they do need punished. if your son is like mine time outs do not work at all he will not even stand in the corner or sit when he is told it's a time out. he goes on doing what he was doing so yes i spank his butt! that's the only way i can get through to him.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Depends on your beliefs. I'm a spanker and yes it works. Now if my son is misbehaving and he knows he's going to get a spanking, he will stop. He just needs reminders. But I also believe that there is a difference between spanking and abuse. I only spank his butt. Smacking your kid across the face is a different story. You're probably going to get a lot of responses saying spanking is never ok but I happen to disagree.
    Anonymous

• It largely depends on the child I would say, I spank, but in all honestly have not needed more than a slap on the hand at that age. And I usually only resorted to it as a final resort, uless the offense was hitting or biting another child. (and yes I have heard all arguments about it not making sense, but it worked, and they NEVER hit other children.) But all children are different, both in maturity and sensitivity. . . my eldest child would simply wipe of the "slap" and continue mission without a pause. . . my youngest will weep inconsolably if I talk to her 'mean', which simply means saying no. .. which I do still or course, but my point being, it depends on the kid, and the offense, of course.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 2:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think a swat(maybe 2) on a diapered bum is ok.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My parents managed to raise 7 of us without spanking. My three-year-old has managed to not be hit by a car, burn herself, or be a raging lunatic, without us ever spanking her. Spoil the rod has many interpretations if you read the entire passage. No one will advocate actually taking a rod to a child. That is illegal. I believe in disciplining (teaching) a child. I do so without pain and it is effective. No, I don't support the spanking of any child, and certainly not one as young as 2. Most spankers say they do it to get attention, and not to hurt their child. But if you spanked twice and don't have his attention, what you are saying is you do it until it hurts. I don't think that's the best thing that you could do. What method you use should differ depending on the infraction.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009