Has anyone else taught a child to tie their shoe, or are you doing it now? I am about to pull my hair out.

He is 5.5 and its like he doesnt have the dexterity to do it. He tries, but really comes no where close.

Is he still to young?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 2:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I taught my son at that age in two tries, but, his friend in kindergarten absolutely could not! The teacher just had my son always tie his shoe for him. Eventually he did learn though, so don't feel bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• LOL, DD is about the same age, and she tries, but . . . just keep practicing, it WILL get better, and eventually he'll learn. There are some books out there that may help too. Amazon's got some great ones! Keep it up, he'll get it!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son turns 6 next month and he doesn't know how. After lots and lots of frustration trying, I bought him velcro shoes and gave up. We will try it again this fall when he gets new tennies. It's not the most important thing in the world to know how to do and it's not the end of the world if they can't. Work on other things in the meantime :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Each child develops differently and it just sounds like his small motor skills are slowing him down rather then he doesn't know how to do it. Perhaps you can do things that have nothing to do with tying his shoes (give him a break from that to avoid frustration) and have him do things to work on his small motor skills like drawing/writing with a pencil, beading a necklace, or something like that. Don't worry he'll get there!
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is 6 and he just does not seem to get it.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter is only 3, but I show her when I tie mine "Loop, swoop, and pull" and I do it slow. She can make the loop, sometimes she can make the swoop...but the pull is a big problem...lol. It will come...and if not, there are always slip ons and velcro...lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I had my husband teach the two older kids when they were 3-4 years old. They caught on right away. I don't really have any advice other than maybe have someone else hep. :) Oh oh... now I remember... there are these laces boards that help them put the laces through the holes and tie them. We haven't had any, but I have seen them at preschools and daycares. Might work.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My neighbors son taught my son how to tie his shoes, and my son was in first grade before he learned. I paid the neighbors son $5 too. He earned it, he is the one that sat outside with my son for hours and taught him. That kid had patience and still does. The neighbor was about 10 years old at the time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• im 23 and still cant tie my shoes right
    Anonymous