How do i make him happy?

My 7 month old is extremely frustrating. He does not want to eat from a spoon and sometimes even though he is hungry he will fight about eating from his bottle. He does not want to crawl and actually gets upset if you put him on his belly. He will be laughing at me one minute and then screaming at me the next with no warning and then he will just go back to laughing. Some night he fights me about going to bed because sometimes he wants to be rocked to sleep and sometimes he just wants you to put him in his crib. He wants to be held ALL the time and if I put him down to do anything sometimes he will scream. The pediatrician tells me it is "just a phase" but I feel like I'm going crazy. I have never been around children and the baby books did not prepare me for this. If anyone knows what to do please let me know.

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 2:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you know that he is OK, then let him scream. You can't hold him all the time, and he will get over it. Its a "mommy" phase, and this won't be the first time it will happen. It will continue on throughout his toddler years, going back and forth between mom and dad.

If he is hungry and fighting off his bottle, it may be time for you to start some simple solids, like Gerber Biter Biscuits (very messy - keep him contained if you give those - but they are great for a teething baby to chew on) or Gerber Puffs (the dissolve almost instantly in your mouth - go ahead, try one. They're actually good, lol)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I like what was said above and as far as crawling. My son hated to be put on his stomach too. He wanted to sit up more than he wanted to crawl, and he didn't crawl for very long, because he wanted to stand. And for the laugh, yell, laugh. He's probably just experimenting with different reactions because they are new to him.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I second CarolynBarnett. If there isn't a thing wrong with him then let that child scream. He needs to know that you are in charge, not him. He needs to learn to soothe himself. He will be fine. Turn up the TV, vacuum the floors, do laundry, the dishes, something but let him fuss all he wants to.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I disagree with pp, JMO. He is only 7 months and I don't think that is old enough to really get the concept of needing to not be held all the time. I completely understand where you are coming from because this has been my dd from day one. Has he always been this way or just recently? If he has always been this way then this could just be his personality. Some kids are more needy and passionate than others. They are generally called high need. I would check out the high need/spirited children group on here, there are a lot of similar moms there. GL and feel free to PM me.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009