How would this be racist?

Never seen the cartoon so maybe I'm missing something? It's titled "Is this racist (song of the south)" and I don't see how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ak4vjiNzw&feature=related

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think some people objected to Song of the South because they felt it perpetuated racist stereotypes, but at the same time, the movie contained a lot of black folk tales that are worth keeping. I'm not sure that people now would see Br'er Rabbit as problematic.
    Anonymous

• My husband got me the DVD for Christmas because it's my favorite movie. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was very young. I don't get what's so racist about it.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• confused

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't think it was intentionally racist. The original books came from folk tales from Africa that were told by the slaves. I guess you'd have to know the whole history on the stories.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I loved the movie as a kid. I even had the book. The stories were wonderful!

Things have indeed reached a sad point when it becomes racist for white people to share/enjoy black folk tales. It pathetic that video games that advocate killing police officers are acceptable and Br'er Rabbit which actually teaches a lesson!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I haven't seen this movie since I was ten years old, but it's not a film I'd let my child see. He's just too young to understand that the movie is a product of it's time (which certainly does not excuse the implicit racism). It relies heavily on racist stereotypes and that's not something I want to teach to my child.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 3:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I see why they say it is racist (tar baby for example) but times were different then and we can't change or hide our history.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 3:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is the movie still not available in the US?
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 3:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It has a lot of sterotypical behaviors from both white and blacks portrayed. But, I look at it as the "time frame" of the era and can not be held to the same standards/protocol as today. Just like when they did away with Speedy Gonzales...silly, or trying to ban Mark Twain b/c of the racial ideals in that book, etc.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Huh guess I have to watch it online, because I don't know who B'rer Rabbit or the tar baby are lol. Still don't see the racism :/
    Anonymous