Depression and medication.....

How many of you have ever suffered from depression and taken meds? I had a baby 2 months ago and have been experiencing Post Pardum Depression. Over the past few days I've been doing better, but I'm sure the "hopelessness" feelings will return. I have an appointment tomorrow to speak with my doctor and go over some options.
What kind of meds have YOU taken? Did they help? Did you have any side affects?

Thanks ladies!!

KissieBaby3

Asked by KissieBaby3 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Health

• people with ""depression"" are just looking for attention. just cope with life and get over it.
    Anonymous

• wow dont listen to anon, i dont have any experience with meds but dont listen to that rude person.

Im sorry i cant help you, just talk to your dr.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Anon, I hope and pray you never have to face the feelings and thoughts that come with depression and if you do, I pray that people will be more compassionate towards you than you are to others. I would be so ashamed to say something like that about those who struggle with a disorder you obviously know nothing about.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• UGH!!! Whatever.....I don't enjoy feeling this way and NO I'm NOT looking for attention. Depression is REAL. Too bad we can't all be perfect like you and just 'cope' with life and get over it.

If you can't say something nice or useful, don't say anything at all. I asked this question for advice....not attention. I'd like to know, from personal experience, what kinds of medications are out there for depression and how well they may or may not have helped.

KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• WOW.....I hope you ignore that first reply. I do not suffer with depression. However, Honey was diagnosed December 29th with Major Depressive Disorder. In the short 3.5 months, his med has been changed no less than 12 times. They are still working on finding the best fit for him. He is sensitive to the meds, they've been trying lower doses, but then if they have weird side effects, they'll change them. There are so many meds out there, don't feel you have to settle with the first one your doctor gives you. Good Luck.....keep your chin up!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I do suffer from depression, but I do not take medication. I am *this* close to getting some, though.

I thought that first I might want to try to regulate my nutrition and make sure I'm taking the best possible care of myself. That might help whatever is chemically wrong with me.

I'd rather try every NATURAL thing I can before turning to man-made meds...they're scary.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you Anon 2:52......I've been trying so hard to be "okay" and not take any meds. BUT I am having a hard time with everyday life and I think I may need to get some help. It was really hard for me to admit that I needed the help and couldn't do this on my own. I'm hoping that taking some meds TEMPORARILY will help me. I also hope that you too will be okay!! Whether from man-made meds or naturally.
    KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have been on Zoloft and it really helped. Counseling and meds are the best combo. It may take a little work to find the right med for you. It sounds like you need the meds. Talk to your doctor and they will evaluate you. Good luck and do what you feel is best for you to get better. Take the help that you need.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• WOW I cant belive how rude some people can be! I have always been a happy person and after my 2nd child I experienced extreme anxiety and had major mood swings. My husband said it was probably from lack of sleep and the stress of a toddler and a newborn. I talked to my doctor during my 6weeks check up and she said it was completly normal and perscirbed me Sertraline which is the genertic version of Zoloft and after 2 weeks I started feeling great! No more random mood swings and no more anxiety. My husband has noticed a big difference and is glad I am feeling better. I was concernd that it would make me a zombie, just going through the motions but I just feel like a better me! I havent experienced any side effects which is nice too. When the doc percribed it I went online to Webmd and read all the feedback and side effects people experinced.

I hope this helps and good luck! It happens to a lot of moms dont feel bad! :)
    Anonymous

• I'M WONDERING IF THERE IS A TEST FOR DEPRESSION
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009