Metaphysical beliefs

The more I learn and read, the more I realize that, while my faith and love for Jesus is strong, in other areas of Christianity, I seem to have a more "New Age" belief system. I am wondering if there are any books about this belief out there? I've read some Sylvia Browne, and while some of her beliefs make sense, others are WAAAY out there for me (heaven is actually 7 inches off the ground?). Are there any others out there?

I love the Lord with every ounce of my being, but I can't find what I'm looking for in the bible.

Any thoughts?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, I love books by Dr. Brian Weiss. If you've never been exposed to the things he writes about before, it may take some adjusting to...But, if you give it a chance and take in what you're reading, they are wonderful books. And he helps to give you a different perspective on things and life. Check him out! :)
    nrth2sth05

Answer by nrth2sth05 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ive not read any books on the subject but the more I read on it(new age websites, beliefnet,etc) the more it sounds a lot like things I believe.
    Like you said, there are things that are part of what I believe but others that are part of that movement are a bit out there for me or I just flat out dont believe.

Thats the fun part of being eclectic LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would first of all warn you about Sylvia Browne (no offense anyone else who likes her). I have watched her a few times on TV just out of curiosity and she has planted seeds in my mind that I have had to pray out. She is unbiblical. And she talks to demons. She is a medium. The Bible condemns mediums not because God doesn't want us to have special knowledge, but that the knowledge they have comes from demons, not God. Some of what they say is couched in truth, but there is always a lie in it somewhere that will draw us away from God.

I have a question. When you mean metaphysical what do you mean (New Age, Mediums, etc). Or do you just mean you have an interest in the supernatural. Because I have some recomendations on stuff like that. I am interested in supernatural things too, but those based on the truth of the Bible. Also you might want to pray for the Lord to give you more spiritual gifts, prophesy, word of knowledge,
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• cont. etc. As Christians we know that there is a reality that is unexplained by science. And I feel like I come into contact with the supernatural world almost too often. LOL. But I am very careful who I get my beliefs from, because I know that in the last days there will be decievers and people will turn aside to false docrines. I don't want to be led astray.

1 Tim 4:1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom:

I am interested in the supernatural, but also in earth-bound spirits (I don't believe that all spirits on earth are demons) and the possibility of reincarnation. I also don't believe in a literal place called hell, and that all God's creations have some kind of soul.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Cinnamonmom "She is unbiblical. And she talks to demons"

How can that be true? She is all the time invoking god's name or saying prayers. I thought that evil couldn't stand to hear or say holy words? And whats the difference in someone saying they are a medium and people of the Bible stating that they heard voices, saw burning bushes, etc and claiming it came from god? How do we know they weren't talking to demons also? If she is praising god with her talk, then she is doing god's work...

Just another reason it doesn't all make sense...HOLES in your Christian Logic

OP- there are plenty of people just like you who love god and jesus but don't strictly follow the bible to the letter. I suggest looking into the Unitarian Universalist church as it encourages you to follow what you want (Christianity) but also encourages the acceptence of other ideas (such as New Age).

www.uua.org

Never hurts to look (or think).
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• After reading a bit, I still don't know. I looked up "New Age" and "Metaphysical" belief systems, neither of which I believe in after reading what the teachings are. I also looked into the UUA, and found that they teach that Jesus wasn't the savior - which goes against my beliefs as well.

Sometimes I just don't know where I fit in . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Ozark. I didn't mean to offend you. I know some people really like her. But in Christianity we are told not to follow mediums. So personally, I need to obey. Also, she may pray to a "god" but it is not the same God of the Bible. She says a lot of things that are unbiblical (contradict Christianity).

If she was a true prophet of God, endorsed by God, she would never contradict the Bible. She is not a prophet, she says she is "talking to dead people" and Christianity forbids that.

So that is why I don't like her. There are no HOLES in my argument.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• To the OP, I apologize I didn't understand where you were coming from just by reading your question. Our beliefs are different :)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have you taken the Belief-O-Matic test at belief net? I would suggest doing so if you haven't... Anything that you allign with 90% or more, I would suggest you look into. There may not be a perfect religion for you. Many of us end up blazing our own path...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009