Need help finding the right dog breed for our family

I love to go on walks, and theres many dog parks around were i live, and love going to the beach
I have a 7 month old
I have a cat
I dont like barking
Some breeds i like the look of are australian sheperd, great pyrenees, american eskimo, golden retriever, basset hound,pomeranian
any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• Golden Retriever is a good one, but I myself am a fan of Black Labs (or any lab in general). They are great family dogs.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i HAVE AN 11 YO YELL LAB. BEST DOG OUT THERE.
    Anonymous

• Definitely a Golden Retriever, or another wonderful dog...great with kids, loves exercise is a Boxer!! I had a Golden who passed away many years ago, and now have a Boxer. As soon as we move and get a bigger yard we will be getting another Golden Retriever!! Good luck
    Anonymous

• Labs!!! Were getting a yellow lab puppy in a lil over a week! I am so excited :o) Labs are an amazing breed. Great for the family!! Great around kids, pets, strangers!! Golden retrievers are the same as labs just with long hair so if you don't mind the hair, they will be just as good :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• well golden retrievers are great...so are labs both of them are good with kids and love walking and all that good stuff....
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Of all the breeds you listed, I think the Golden is the best pick for you.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Golden Retriever or Lab
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We have a beagle that thinks he is an extension of my son. And our lab/aussie mix is wonderful, too.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• a standard poodle. they are smart and they don't shed which is really nice. we found a golden and that thing was so hyper by husband let it out again. later i saw a lost sign and felt bad that he did this and they are missing their dog. i was annoyed but i can ignore the dog but he couldn't. he did it behind my back. a boxer is a good dog as well and since you are into walking an doing stuff the boxer will have it's energy let out. they have lots of energy to keep up with you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• If you don't want excessive barking I would stay away from Australian Shepherds, Bassets, and Pomeranians for sure, I'm not sure about American Eskimos, they might be barkers too. This "dog breed selector" might help give you some more leads: http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do
    Once you are down to 3-5 possibilities start reading up on the breeds, try to find some that you can meet. Go hand out at you dog park and get to know some of the breeds better. Find a local dog show, they are a GREAT place to see and learn more about A LOT of different breeds!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009