Basset hound

I saw the cutest basset hound today and was wondering a bit about the breed. Are they just lazy and like to sit around all the time? Do they like water? Walks? Kids?
Anyone have experience with these kinds of dogs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• My aunt had one when I was a kid, and it seemed friendly with kids. As for being lazy, don't remember, maybe do some research online. If you are looking for a good family friendly dog, maybe a lab, or a golden retriever.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My family had one when I was a kid and he was great. I dont know if it was just him or all Bassetts, but he was great with kids, and actually pretty active. He would run around and play with us in the yard. He was stubborn though. He would get in trouble but it didnt seem to phase him, he'd turn right around and go about his own business. BUt overall I loved him, he was a great dog, I've never heard anything bad about the breed. Also, they are so funny to watch, sometimes when they run they trip over their own ears,lol.
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 2:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bassethound.htm
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We have a few that come into the kennel. They are amazingly strong. They don't appear lazy to me!!! Even a particular old girl that comes in. She's just full of vim and vigor!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Our neighbor had one when the kids were little. A sweetie. She liked to try to sit on my lap- was too big, so just managed her front legs and head. She did like to roll in stuff, but was a good-natured dog. Since they are a hunter breed, they need exercise. And there may be a spinal problem tendency because they are long and low.

Answer by Bmat at 2:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think they are good natured. I have wanted one for a while. The girls are a fair amount smaller than males. CUTE doggies.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• when they are puppies it is like having a 2 year old on crack literally they are full of energy and sniff out anything and everything with their nose and chew everything. but when they get out of the puppy stage they get lazy in there adult years. also they have a tendency to bark at every bird every animal. they usually are really smart or really stupid. yes they like water and they are good for active kids. they are good dogs if you can make it through the puppy stages. but they are very loving and devoted dogs.
    pixxydust

Answer by pixxydust at 5:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have a Basset and they are GREAT dogs. My dog is wonderful with children. He is a pretty lazy dog (he's a year old) but he does love to play.
    Basset Hounds normally cannot swim, but mine liked very shallow water.
    Down side to a Basset:
    They shed HORRIBLY
    Their ears make a wet mess on the floor every time they get a drink
    They are prone to joint/back problems
    They need bathed often (the can get stinky)
    They are stubborn

However, they are GREAT dogs for the right family!
    Anonymous

• Daisy isn't just bassett, she is bassett and dashhound mix and she is a speed racer!! She loves our kids and is very loyal. We have chickens and she never messes with them. We love her even though we are usually big dog people. DH co-worker had a litter and they were just too cute to pass up. We had been dogless for some time after the death of our rat terrrior(he was an Ivan recuse). I'm glad we took the chance because we love her so much. she always wants to be near us. Our only problem is house breaking her. I don't know if it's the breed our just Dasiy.
    queennut5

Answer by queennut5 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2009