Looking for Chrisitan insight?

I am only looking for Christian insight or the insight of others that feel they can be helpful in helping me to understand. Please, let's not be rude...

In Ecclesiastes 3

19.Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless.
20.All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.
21.Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"

Side note says it can also be worded ""Who knows the spirit of man, which rises upward, or the spirit of the animal, which goes down into the earth"

Why did God make these wonderful things for us to enjoy only to extinguish them after they die? Why can't they go to Heaven too? How do I explain to my kids why there is life after death for us but not our pets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, even though I'm not a Christian, I'm going to try and apply some Christian logic to the answer. Forgive me if I'm off-base with this...

I would think that logically, since there were animals made for humans to enjoy, that they would also be in Heavan for you to enjoy there. And since Adam and Eve were in Eden (paradise on Earth) and animals were allowed in there, then certainly god wants humans to have animals around them, including while in Heavan. I'm sure many things that don't have souls will also be in Heavan (like trees, water, etc) So wether or not they have souls is a moot point.

I hope that helps a bit?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Honestly? I personally believe there IS an afterlife for animals. Maybe not like ours, but I think their sweet little souls go on to something better. I had three dogs that were my babies. They were sweet darlings that were faithful and loyal. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they loved us and cared for us. I refuse to believe that those animals did not end up in some form of heaven.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• There is much I do not understand. All I know is God made this earth and the animals etc for our benefit. The animals were not given a soul like we have because they do not have the ability to reason right from wrong.They go by instinct. In heaven the focus will truly be God. That's the only answer I can think of to your question.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• People have long been humanising animals, attaching human emotions and attributes to animals. Animals do not have souls. That is what separates us from them.
    Sometimes it's easier to soften the blow of death to a child by allowing them to think that their pet is in pet heaven. Which in all reality.....don't we believe heaven to be a better place? If your pet is ill, and passes, isn't he then in a better place?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Does anyone have a reference that proves animals don't have souls?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• christian insight is an oxymoron
    Anonymous

• OP:  This is why I struggle so much with this.  I believe there's more to my pets than just a brain.  I believe they make choices and have personailties.  The Bible doesn't really specify, aside from that verse.  I don't know what to tell my kids but I don't want to lie to them either.  I don't want to scare them or confuse them...or make them angry at God.

Anonymous

• It is my belief that there will be animals in heaven.

Isa 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the LAMB, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young LION and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
    Isa 65:25 The wolf and the LAMB shall feed together, and the LION shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 2:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• http://www.ourchurch.com/member/w/w_lasalle/

Hope this can help some.
    Anonymous

• If there is a heaven- animals will be there. I think it's silly to suppose that ours are the only souls that would make it homeward- somewhat idolatrous, really, to think that way. I've always viewed the verse that you posted as a good comeback to those that DON'T think animals will go heavenward. I also like to point out that the original Genesis account called animals chay nefesh- meaning living souls- when translated it was changed to 'living creatures'. Further on in Genesis, the same term was used for us, but we were left with the souls in that translation.
    Anonymous