As a Christian, do you feel...

...that Science is "against" you or your religion?

I have seen many Christians voice that all scientists are 'trying to prove Christianity wrong.' I just wonder what makes you feel that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never given it much thought. I believe in science and I believe God gave us the skills we have to advance as far as we have. There are extremists in every area though. And I do believe that there ARE people going out of their way to discredit our faith. I can't lay a blanket statement like that over all scientists though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No I dont feel that science is against us. I feel like lots of things line up and lots of things are just a "best guess" from scientists who are human and can very well, make mistakes.

I dont understand everything, but I do know that when I reach Heaven I will understand it all and how wonderful that will be.

I have a friend who is a DEVOUT christian and has a degree in science. She loves studying about everything to do with science. And I have heard her say more than once that we have only begun to touch the tip of the iceberg with science. So there are many more answers out there we just dont know them yet. :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I can't say that ALL are trying, but some most definitely are. Some simply believe in their system and facts and numbers, and some can't wait to blow the existence of God right out of the water. It gives a creationist a headache sometimes, LOL. And when they are presented with flaws in their system or given proof that what they just proved is unprovable (LOL, is that a word?), they get extremely angry and defensive. That's why I chose to no longer get into those debates. Doesn't matter what you say, every word that comes out of your mouth that doesn't support evolution is "naive" "biased" and a "fairy tale".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Science has its place. I do believe that some believe so much in science that they cannot see the forest for the trees, so to speak, and do their utmost best to prove there is no forest, only trees, but I dont believe that science is against my faith. The bible speaks of roads in the ocean and the bible was written long before scientists figured out there are indeed pathways there.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Good science is good. It is normal to look around and want to find an explanation. But evolutionists are practicing bad science. Their premise is that there is no God. Then they try and go prove it, making up theories. They do not follow the evidence they deny it. Bad scientists won't even consider intelligent design.
    Anonymous

• How can there be "good" science and "bad" science?

You're saying that the only "good" science is science that falls in line with Christianity/God?
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:51:
    Not all evolutionists are trying to prove that God does not exist. They just believe that there are too many contradictions in the Bible vs. Theories based on evidence collected. Some evolutionary biologists actually believe in the existance of a higher being. They simply question the literal approache that some Christians take to Genesis.

I think you are right that it is "bad" science to rule out anything that they can not prove did not happen (i.e. intellegent design)

As for the OP: I believe that God is the why and science is the how. I am one that actually believes that science and God go hand in hand, right down to the creation of the Earth and evolution
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think that most scientists are very intellectual and have analytical minds. They want proof of whatever it is they are talking about. Most religions are faith-based. There isn't any tangible "evidence" of faith. (For example, you cannot capture or see the blowing wind, but you can feel it and you can see evidence of it being there. It is not tangibly "hold-able". This is a weak example of faith.)

Many scientifically-minded people have tried to disprove Christianity based on the evidence. But the more they tried to find, the more they uncovered, the more they realized that there is indeed a higher power (God) that created and controls everything. At least, that's my take on it from what little I've read.

Josh MacDowell is one man that speaks of this. (www.josh.org) He wrote "Evidence That Demands A Verdict", vol. I and II

Another is Lee Strobel "Case for a Creator" (www.leestrobel.com)

PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 3:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have nothing against science, I actually love it.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I love science too. And I believe science will prove the existance of God. But, alas, probably not on purpose. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009