I need advice - quick!!!

I will make this quick = My sons Princple just called my house, said my son and a group of boys was bulling another child in their class. We have a 0 tollerence on bulling here. Anyhow, my Son has had problems with this boy all year. But now I am not sure what to say to him (son). Well what I want to say is ' WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YO ARE" - but I dont know. What do you all think? Mind you - this will not happen again. Just not sure of appr. displine. He is a popular, big, handsome, 9 yo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow mom, I am proud for you b/c most moms would take up for their sons. Ya know, calling the principal unfair, and calling out reasons the boy DESERVED it.

Kudos to you for realizing your son can make a mistake too! You have conquered the first huge step.

Sorry I dont have any advice for you, just wanted you to know how I felt about your situation. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• SORRY- you are/ in what I would say to him... I am so freaked out I cant even type.
    Anonymous

• I would go with the who in the hell do you think you are... discuss the reasoning and then take everything away...
    Anonymous

• First off being popular, big and handsome doesn't constitute what is right and what is wrong. He shouldn't be bullying anyone. Some kids are dangerous these days and bringing a gun to school to blow some kid away would be the first thing on the list. You need to talk to your son {and you know what to say} before someone gets hurt, including your son.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have the previous problems with the id been with yuor son being picked on r with your son picking on him? I would let the school handle it for the most part, but especially if he gets suspended make him serve out the same punishment at home, meaning it's not a vacation, but a punishment. And in my house he would be grounded for the same length of time as he is in trouble at home.

If this other kid has been picking on your son though and he was just defending himself, that is a bit tougher, I might go pretty easy on him, but mke it clear that he needs to hande it differently next time.
    Anonymous

• Oh gosh everyone - I could never Thank You all enough for the feedback. I will keep reading the posts. Dont know what I would do without all the mommies on here.

Also I will let you know what happens.
    Anonymous

• I would take your son home, and sit him down and ask what happened? ALWAYS hear your chlld's side of the story first. A few weeks ago, my daughter's teacher called me, saying my daughter who is 8, was in the bathroom hanging from the doors. Asked me to talk to her. I didnt yell or scream. I took her home and heard her version. It turns out someone saw some girls doing it, and my daughter happen to be in that stall. So, always get their version first.

WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Thank god you are willing to back the school up!! You have no idea how rare that is now-a-days. I agree to let the school handle it, then back it up at home with conversation and consequences. I would suggest googling information on bullying and see what is age appropriate for him to view.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with WifeyandMom71 and I also agree with mom2twobabes - good for you.

If you find, after speaking with your son and the principal, that the bullying could have been avoided, you may want to try something that will affect your son in a way that will make him think before he acts. I believe in trying to teach children positiveness by applying a positive lesson.
    Perhaps you can have your son invite the child he bullied over to your home and spend some one-on-one time with him so they can get to know each other as people. Set up some activities, or a game, or even a barbecue as ice breakers.
    When my children think that they have bad lives or speak about hating other people I schedule a day, without them knowing about it, for us to clean out bedrooms and gather items together to donate to charity. We also like to go, as a family, to our local shelter and help there.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009