Serious Question for Christians...

I have heard non-believers ask why God, whoo is all-loving and compassionate, would let innocent children die and suffer. I really don't know the answer to that. Insight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only explanation I have for that is that His ways are not always our ways, and some of the things that happen we will never have an explanation for. I know that seems so generic, but that's truly what I feel.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I typed this one time and got bashed. If you read this PLEASE try to get what I am saying. ;)

When man sinned it let BAD things into this world. God gives us free will meaning he doesnt control everything. Sometimes we pray for a child to be healed and it doesnt happen and people say "wheres God" but God sees the bigger picture, eternity. We only see the here and now and that is what is important to us.

This world is full of SIN therefor bad things happen.

I do not mean the the child is sinful or that they did something to cause it. I just mean that they are on Earth and things like this happen and cant be helped.

I rambled. Does that make sense. Please no bashing me this time, I am in NO WAY saying any child deserves to be sick at all!!!!! I would never say that.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes things just happen, it doesn't mean God allowed that necessarily. I have a married couple whose son died a little over 5 years ago, from being hit by a car. The driver had a hard time seeing with a glare from the sun, as they were walking. For a child who is murdered, that's a hard one to deal with, God gives people free will, and it is not that He allows it, people make choices, we are given the choice to do as we please. For a child who dies of something like cancer/aids that is another one that you may ask a pastor if you feel the need to.
    Anonymous

• God never promised us a perfect world...in fact when man sinned...Adam and Eve...he said quite the opposite would happen. The only perfectness we have to look forward to is in heaven. Yes it is hard to understand why God "allows" bad things to happen to good people but that is just a part of life. Life is not perfect, life is not easy, bad things are going to happen and even though God does perform miracles, not everyone that has something bad happen to them is going to get a miracle. There is evil in this world, there are sinners in this world, and because of that, life is never going to perfect and bad things are going to happen.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• First anon, I agree! We are seeing life with peripheral vision. God sees all.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with the first anon. We are not seeing everything. Those children who are dying, why are they? Is it because God is negligent or because man has created a situation that allows them to be "sacrificed"
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• the devil comes to lie,KILL,steal and destroy and he is the god with a all g of this world.. thats all i got to say....
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Anon 1:56, I think you said it brilliantly.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think it might also help to know the context in which an Atheist asks that question. I can't speak for all Atheists but for myself, that question usually comes on the heals of hearing a Christian exclaming over the wonderful thing in life God has given them, how wonderful and loving God is, or how God saved them from the tornado that ripped through their town etc... That's usually when an Atheist (again I'm generalizing) will ask why God gets credit for the good and not the bad in life. As in my tornado example: you always see the one person on TV thanking god for sparing his/her life but they fail to think about the life of the small child who did die. That's when I get confused and wonder why you (generalizing here) think you were spared but not an innocent child.
    I'm not sure if any of that made sense. I'm hungry and haven't eaten...low blood sugar levels and all...lol
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Shutterbug: It does make sense what you are saying. What I hear is examples of children starving in 3rd world countries or suffering unnecessarily. It is something confirms to some atheists (according to them) that there is no God and if there were they would not want any part of them because he is cruel for letting these things happen. Thanks for your insight!
    Anonymous