I'm giving my daughter 2nd foods, but she is chewing them insted of just swollowing them, should I start 3rd foods?

Asked by proudmomwifey at 3:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is chewing her food...why not go ahead and offer her table food and skip stage 3 baby food...saves on money if you don't have to buy something in a jar and can feed her what you have prepared for your own meal. My 8month old eats table food..and he only has one tooth.

Answer by mag12305cmg at 8:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• sure, give it a shot. stage 3 don't really need chewed anyways, they just have more ingredients and maybe slightly thicker consitincey

• I would say that if you think she can handle the lumpy foods of three's then yes go ahead especially with the fruit because that is not that lumpy.

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Try some finger foods. Or homemake thicker textured food for her. Or sure give her 3rd foods.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I skipped 2nd foods and went strait to 3rd foods for the same reason.

Once she got the hang of 3rd foods, I started offering table foods, and now at 11 months (but really since she was 10 months) she has not eaten baby food.

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Try it. Can't hurt. The worst she can do is not eat it.

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• How old is she? Does she crawl yet? The website ( says stage 3 is for crawlers, so if the baby can crawl she can deffinatly handle it. We bought some (our 9 month old accepted baby food VERY late) just to test it out and she did really well. So if you think she can crew it fine, then try it ;)

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009