How do I convince my husband that the English Mastiff either has to go, or has to go outside??

A year ago I was diagnosed with Asthma and Idopathic Hives similar to Dermatographism (skin writing). So to say that I've blown up with allergies is an understatement. We've had an English Matiff for 2.5 years, if you're familiar, then you know they are HUGE (ours is 185 lbs) , they are actually rated for apartment living because they are sedentary, BUT they are year-round (I mean BAD, HORRIBLE) shedding dogs. We've tried ALL the de-shed combs, shampoos, vitamins, etc....NOTHING has worked well enough to keep it from affecting my asthma - really badly. I've completely lost my bond with the dog because of the shedding, my asthma (knowing he's causing the majority of the hive flare-ups) and trying to clean up after this monster. House maintenance is running about 2 hours a day (just to clean up all the slobber - walls, furniture, counters, you name it - it's everywhere. The dander, hair and dust is out of control... (Cont'd)

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I agree- I've had mastiffs for 6 years now and they are not big shedders. Check with your vet and have some bloodwork done. Maybe he has thyroid issues or a vitamin deficiency. Also, if you don't have the time to put into treating him you should contact his breeder. My puppy contracts and all other reputable breeders that I know have a clause stating that you will not place the dog in a shelter or rescue situation or rehome it, you will return the dog to the breeder so that they can place it in another approved home. If your breeder won't take him back then contact Southern States Mastiff rescue or the MCOA so that they can point you in the right direction.
    He shouldn't have to live his life outside- in fact he will have a terrible life if left outside. Mastiffs NEED to be in a family situation and involved in the day to day activites of a family, segrogating him outside with only contact from your husband is unfair.
    Casslou1

Answer by Casslou1 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• He needs to pick keep the dog outside and you inside or keep the dog inside and you leave. If its your health on the line he should understand.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm an animal lover big time.... but I'm suffering. My best friend talked to my husband about this (after I had tried over and over).... but when he came to me with tears in his eyes, because he thought he was having to give up his dog... I couldn't make him do it. Now I'm stuck between not being able to breathe, very expensive breathing treatments, medications, cleaning products, not to mention all the energy I expend trying to clean up the hair and dander.... I can't take it anymore...... What do I say to convince him that this has to be done for my health's sake?? And how do I live with knowing I broke his heart?? Not to mention the emotional strain of giving up his dog.... Girls help me here, I don't know what to do anymore.... I know there are rescues for these dogs...but none in this area..... I can't just give him away not knowing how he'll be treated.... My heart is breaking, and my lungs collapsing.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm not sure where you live, but since it's getting nicer outside, is it possible to set up an area for him to be outdoors throughout the day and bring him in at night? It would cut down on the allergies and the cleanup. I have an American Bulldog that is 115 pounds (nowhere near as big as yours) but he drools all the same and I know it's a nasty job to do!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I also have severe allergies throughout the year...I swear I'm allergic to everything! Maybe you could talk to your doctor about getting something that works. Maybe something stronger?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Unfortunately, I tried that... My husband won't do it.... because the dog also has allergies where he gets horrible pyoderma (skin lesions like hot spots) if he's left outside or gets too hot. I really am afraid that he and his allergies are what's triggering my asthma.

I had 4 dogs when I was with my ex.... .4 dogs (Rott, Pitt, 2 Jack Russels) didn't leave as much hair and dander as this one dog is leaving. When he shakes you can see the hair flying off of him, like he's been laying there while someone was getting a haircut.... I've never experienced anything like this. EvEr.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• if he cares about you and your health he would get rid of the dog or put it outside!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 3:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm already on the max , taking 2 breathing treatments daily, bronchial dilator meds, H2 Inhibitors, Mast Cell inhibitors, daily inhaler maintenance, emergency inhaler (TWO) and have to wear a medical bracelet because my asthma is of an acute death-threatening nature. And a year, I've been battling not being able to breathe..... while I'm sitting still in my own house, let alone while I'm cleaning.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Man, I wish I could help! Do your have a house or is it an apartment? Do you have a nice large area in the basement to keep him?

For the allergies try changing your furnace filter and use a vacuum daily that has a good filter so it isn't blowing all the dander back into the air. Maybe you can look into buying one of those air purifiers?

If these things can't work or aren't possible, then I'd say he's going to just have to make a choice. Does he have ANY friends that would take him so he could still visit him regularly?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Maybe see if someone can take the dog for a few weeks so you can see if your asthma improves. It might not be the dog you're allergic to.

Sorry!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009