Do you believe in truth?

I have noticed some of you are learners of many things. Some of you believe that there are many different ways, and alot of you base your beliefs on your own opinions and experiences and such.

So do you believe that there is truth in the universe? And for those who believe that there are just different paths, how do you explain why all of our paths contradict each other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like my theory:
    all gods are just one god who shows him/herself to each individual person as that person needs, each path is just a different way of saying the same things on the basic levels anyways such as morals and what is right or wrong.
    You can find similarities between all religions. There is an Egyptian god whos stories are almost identical to Jesus. Other religions have had floods, plagues, etc. All religions have the same basic rule of treat everyone nice, the golden rule
    Anonymous

• I believe there is a "truth" that most of us will never know/understand.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do believe there is an ultimate truth. However, I feel it is probably hard for human beings to grasp (look at quantum physics as the ground of matter, for instance- how many people truly 'get' that? I know I don't!) Various human disciplines (religion, philosophy, science) are attempts to grasp that truth. These encompass various different paths to gain understanding of the nature of reality. I don't, however, think that any one faith or discipline has a complete picture of ultimate reality: hence different paths. I am also a big believer that various faiths point to truth without necessarily encompassing the truth in and of themselves: to quote the Zen proverb: "The finger pointing at the moon (scripture/teaching) is not the moon (ultimate truth.)" I think different faiths speak to different people: some relate strongly to a personified deity, some to an abstract deity, some to natural laws,hence different paths
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "The truth is out there" - X Files

LOL, sorry I couldn't resist that one . . .

I don't think there really is any one viable "truth" - I think that all religions have their correct points and their incorrect points.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Anon: 31. You are wrong. The religions are way different. Different morals etc.

According to your theory, God revealed himself to the radical muslim terrorists, telling them that if they flew planes into the world trade center they would get lots of virgins in heaven???

Is that what they needed to hear from God?

Or Jim Jones and David Coresh, they just were following their own version of truth?

Is no one ever wrong in their spritiual beliefs?

Anonymous

• I believe that organized religion is one of the things limiting people and diverting them from the "truth."
    Anonymous

• Freela...you said that so beautifully. Thank you!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Truth is subjectvie.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yes, there is truth.
    And each persons perception.
    Some people see things one way and it is different from what others think.
    There is one truth.
    One God.
    How you see and think of him is your business not mine.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't think I could have put it any better than Feela.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009