Ipecac

When should I give my Child Ipecac and is it safe?

Michylyn

Asked by Michylyn at 3:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• only if they have swallowed something that on the warning lable says "Induce vomiting if swallowed" or if advised by poison control or your childs doctor.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would only give ipecac if poison control told me to, since some substances do more damage if you induce vomiting. Other than that I'm not aware of any uses for it. HTH.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would always call poisin controll first, like pp said if it says induce vomiting it should be okay, but some stuff it is best not to induce it and get to the ER for a stomach pump or drink charcoal.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You shouldn't give it unless poison control says you can...some stuff is so corrosive that it does more damage to come back up.

P.S...do they still sell it? For some reason I thought they took it off the market. I have seen children's liquid charcoal though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think it's been taken off the market due to abuse and misuse by parents - the same with infant cold medicines.
    When in doubt, call poision control and follow their advice. If you have some ipecac on hand, never give it unless told to by poision control... 1-800-222-1222... put it on your fridge, it's free, friendly, and life saving.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009