Sleeping through the night?

When did your baby start sleeping through the night? My little man is 4wks and has to be 12 lbs at least...I thought they were suppose to sleep through the night by then. I'm exhausted and need some extended sleep!

RoseLAnderson

Asked by RoseLAnderson at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh honey, you are a few months away from sleeping all night long.

All night to us is much longer than all night to them,especially at 4 weeks old. If he sleeps 4-5 hours strait, consider it all night.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Lily didnt start sleeping through the night TOTALLY till she was about 3 months old. Before that she would wake up just once a night for a feeding and go straight back to sleep.
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• there is no set age or weight limit on sleeping through the night sorry to say. one thing that could help is set a daily schedule for baby and stick to it. at night make sure he is eating a good amount of breastmilk/formula. get his belly full let him eat as much as he wants just don't give him a belly ache. and lay him down awake. if you want to know about how to start a schedule that early send me a message and i will tell you how i put my kids on a schedule. my daughter started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old and is still doing so.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It is way to early to expect that. 5 months is the age when you can stop feeding them at night and train them to go to sleep on their own. They still may wake up from time to time though. My kids didn't consistantly sleep through the night until they were 14 months old. I didn't feed them or interact with them at night after 5 months, but they still woke and fussed for a few minutes.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 6 months is average. At 4 weeks I'd be worried if he did sleep through.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• they werent "supposed to be sleeping through the night" really by any age during infancy, but many sleep longer as they get older! my son started sleeping really good, around 9 months. still occasionally woke up once, but after a while he slept from the time he was laid down till morning! I have never ignored his fussiness, but gave him a few minutes (literally just a few minutes, then I'd check up on him) so he learned to fall back asleep on his own. and that took a while!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009