Mental Illness...

Many people through out the years have done horrid things because of mental illnesses... So, I ask, is mental illness a free pass? If someone kills 30 people and then it turns out that they were insane... Does God see past that? Or doesn't the reason matter, just the crime?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. I blame it all on Karma & past life experiences.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I honestly don't really know how to answer that one, LOL.

I don't think that God is going to lay blame if someone truly doesn't know what they are doing.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm as mad as the proverbial hatter and we're good!

Depends on the disease and the degree of deterioration.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 3:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think to a degree God will take into account the "illness" they were afflicted with. However I believe God gives us each our trials to see how we will overcome them, as well as He will give trials to some that are for the benefit of others. Maybe this person with a mental illness went down the path he did because the people who should've been guiding them failed. I feel compassion for them, but at the same time, in a here and now situation they need to have repurcussions of their crimes fit to their illness.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I dont believe its a free pass however, if its established they do, in fact, have issues then they need help and not to just get a slap on the wrist and go back out into society after 6 mths.

God sees the heart plus I believe once we leave this shell behind that stays as well and we are healthy again. Perfect, if you will.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The body and soul are two separate things to me, IMO God does not punish the soul for the bodies actions. A sick mind like with mental illness is separate from the souls energy,and guidance.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't believe mental illness has anything to do with God.
    I don't believe mental illness is a "free pass," but it is something that has to be taken into consideration. I think that people with severe mental illnesses, who have the potential to hurt themselves or others, should be helped; anyone with a mental illness who HAS hurt someone should be locked up while receiving help.

Then again, perhaps ANYONE who has ever purposefully, sadistically hurt or killed someone has/had a mental illness.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that God will hold an illness over our heads. We have no choice in the matter if we become ill...it just happens. I believe God knows our hearts & our minds. He knows if we are truly ill or not and knows if we are able to comprehend.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• There are so many degrees of insane that I think those that murder (Ted Bundy or the like) repeatedly, are truly sick, dark entities that aren't controlled by God nor do they go back to God to be reckoned with, they just repeat or live on a different plane than the rest of us. I believe strongly in Karma.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• There are a couple "explanations" for mental illness. One is, like JeanClaudia said, they are dark entities and dark entities never get the benefit of seeing "HOME". They just continue to loop right back into life, which eventually creates a bit of a "crazy person". Eventually, when our life schematic here on Earth is over they will be brought into the Loving mass that is Father GOD and they will be individuals no more. The second explanation is a lot like the first but with regard to White Entities that have chosen to come back into life too soon after a previous one. They may become "confused", which I think is a big explanation in regards to suicide (especially with depressed and bi-polar persons). They will be brought HOME and "cocooned" until they are back in their "right mind".
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009