Depression During Pregnancy

Have any of you had this? What did you do to help it get better? Did it turn into post partum depression for you?

I am 14 weeks pregnant and seems like the second the second trimester started so did the depression and it has been getting progressively worse. I wake up all night long sometimes just to cry, I feel sad and exhausted all day long, have no appetite. I completely wanted to skip easter and I feel like I am causing my family to fall apart because I never get along with my husband and my sex drive is 0!! My doctor gave me one of the post partum quizzes and I scored an 18 out of 21...0 being not depressed, 10 being depression that needs attention, 21 being severely depressed. He recommends that I see a counselor to further determine how bad it is and to get it treated before I have the baby so that it doesn't turn into PPD.

I just need some advice from anyone whose been there so i don't feel so alone...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• btw this is my second pregnany and my last pregnancy I never had depression, barely a mood swing. I have a toddler who is turning 2 next month and I feel so guilty for being depressed around him.
    Anonymous

• Hey, stick in there, I sometimes fight thou the same thing. But its not that bad, what I do to stay happy is thinking, that at the end of all this I am going to be a mom. The whole not getting along with your husband, same here! Most of the time out fights are dumb and its him just caring A LOT. Try talking to someone, it could be your husband, a friend or even someone on here. You are strong, because a strong person will come out say Hey I need help! Thats what I like about you, you are not wanting to go thou this because you care. If you need to talk to someone I am all ears just send me a message :)
    HuntersMama09

Answer by HuntersMama09 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm there with ya gal. I'm around 20wks now and at 13 I was myserible. I am still picking up the pieces of my severe mood swings and depression. I fear I may have PDD later as well. My dr.'S are crap though and pay no attention to my concerns. I just wanted you to know your not alone and do your best to think positive. Good luck sweetie.
    TheRaenonu

Answer by TheRaenonu at 4:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• For starters, definitely seek out a counselor. Having someone to talk to about what you're feeling does help. I went through this with my second pregnancy too... honestly distractions were the best thing for me. You could also take some red raspberry (herbal supplement) to help regulate the pregnancy hormones.

As far as PPD goes, it's a different critter, you don't have to have been depressed previously to get it, and being depressed before or during pregnancy doesn't automatically mean you will either. Don't stress about it now, just focus on what's troubling you. It may simply be a hormonal imbalance, or you could be prego with a boy (I heard that they're more likely to cause in-utero depression, and my second was a boy, so it was true for me)

dreamdancer79

Answer by dreamdancer79 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• you're very early on and your hormones are out of wack. Talk to your dr because stress from depression can be harmful to the baby.
    I went trhough ppd it sucks and i normally suffer from depression. It is good you are aware of the depression.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 5:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009