Babies and Kittens

My 9 month old dd loves her kitten, but she is always pulling her. I am against being mean to animals, will she grow out of it? The kids on my DHs side of the family they are mean to them!

Also should I be worried if the Kitten(shes like 7 months) is just as ruff with her as she is to the kitten. They both love eachother and are like best friends but they play ruff!!!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies dont quite understand the concept of being gentle, so everytime she reaches for the kitty, pet the kitty and say "see how mama gently pets the kitty? such soft fur!!!" you can also hold her hand while she pets to make sure she doesnt grab the fur. my son, almost 1, tries to pet our cat and ends up grabbing the fur. thankfully my cat tolerates it to a point then just runs away lol. I always hold my son's hand so he gets the idea of petting with a flat hand and say "gently pet the kitty! he likes being pet like this!"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter has a book called "Pat Them Gently" that she's been reading since she was a few months old. She really took its lessons to heart. When she pets our cats, we only have to say "pat her gently," and she models the behavior that we practiced with the book.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with Owl Feather. Your daughter won't learn to be gentle unless you teach her!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• She will pet her gently sometimes and I do try and teach her but they are like attached at the hip or something and when the cat plays she plays back!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My baby does the same thing with our 2 cats...its amazing how tolerant cats are....anyway, when she pulls too hard, I just make her "pet" the cat and say be nice to kittly...she's probably too young for that yet (7 months) but I don't want her to beat up our animals when she gets bigger....I think they eventually grow out of it:) good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009