Dilated to 3 cm...how long can I stay this way?

I am currently 33 1/2 weeks pregnant and have been SLOWELY moving along in labor. I have been having irregular contractions and vaginal pressure for 3 weeks now. Last week I lost part of my mucus plug and was checked by my doc yesterday. I am dilated to 3 cm and am not effaced at all yet. Baby is still high but my contractions are starting to get longer and stronger. They are still very irregular. My question is how long can I stay dilated to a 3 before my labor really gets going?

Oh this is my 2nd pregnancy also. Lots of personal stories, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your input!

MT_MOM

Asked by MT_MOM at 3:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can stay dilated to a 3 for weeks.

I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks, and was put on meds to stop my contractions because it was progressing too fast, but I never dilated past a 2, but I stayed at that 2 until I went into labor again at 37 weeks and delivered.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I was 2 1/2 cm dilated and 75% effaced for a whole month.
    And Lily was still at stage 0 when I went in after my water broke.
    I was in labor for 20 hours. Ohhh god the memories lol.
    You dont want your baby coming out yet. Its not done cooking.
    I wouldnt start walking and trying to get him/her out until you are at 37 weeks.
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 4:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Advice:::::stay off of your feet. 33 weeks is too early to be giving birth. get in the bed and have people pamper your every need. keep that baby inside of you for at least another 3-4 weeks. i lost 4 mucus plugs before giving birth to my daughter. they just kept growing back. just because youlost it doesn't mean it is triggering labor. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I was dilated to a 3 for a month with my first! Same position as you, high baby, no effacement, and the uterus hadn't even turned yet. It was a long month! Good luck to you!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 4:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i was dilated at 3 cm for 7 weeks before i got induced.
    Anonymous

• with my second I was 4cm dilated and 60% effaced, stayed that way for well over a month, not the most comfortable of times, but it does happen.
    dreamdancer79

Answer by dreamdancer79 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009