When are the old enough to go into bunk beds?

I want to eventually get a bunk bed for my boys and let them sleep in one room and use the other as a playroom... at least until they hit their preteen or teen years. Right now they are too little, but I need to get my oldest a new bed.... was thinking about going ahead and getting the bunk and letting him sleep on bottom for now, then move him up later.... when would you let your kids start sleeping on the top of a bunk??

CorgiMomma

Asked by CorgiMomma at 4:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son is 5 and sleeps on a top bunk
    we got the bunk beds over a year ago, so that when g-ma comes to visit she will have a place to sleep
    he refuses to sleep on the bottom cuz its g-mas bed lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My oldest has been on the top bunk since he was 4...but I wouldn't allow my second son to do it at that age. It really depends on the kid. It's your judgment to make.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my SKs had bunk beds when we lived in an apartment. the youngest was 3.5 and he slept on the bottom bunk. the oldes was 6 almost 7 and she slept on top. they have their own rooms now in our house. when they are at their mom's the youngest now (just turned 5 in march) sleeps on top and the oldest now 8 almost 9 sleeps on the bottom.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I got bunk beds when my ds's were 4 and 2 1/2. I didnt have them put together as bunk beds initially buthave for the past 2 1/2 yrs. Oldest is now 7 and his brother is the one who sleeps on top all the time and he is 5 1/2.
    hevnlyangel24

Answer by hevnlyangel24 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• When they are old enough to climb up and down the ladder safely enough that you are sure they could climb down unassisted in the night if they needed to, and old enough to know, understand, remember, and follow bunk bed safety rules. The bunk bed rules in our house include no playing on the top bunk, only sleeping. No jumping, no standing, no toys (except a stuffed animal to sleep with), no tying anything to the bars of the bunk. I read a terrible news story here in Colorado a few years back. A little 4 or 5 year old girl named Jasmine died because she would play on the top bunk and she accidentally hung herself with a toy snake from the top bunk. Just playing with the snake, she got tangled in it and fell off the bed it seems. It is such a terrible and scary thought! Another story I read did not involve a bunk bed, could happen in any bed, a little girl had a balloon in her room and got strangled to death by the string.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Not trying to scare you. Just passing on the info so that you can know to set rules for the bunk bed and if they don't, won't, or can't follow the rules take the bed down until they are older. IMO.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Thanks.. I think by the time we transfer next my oldest will be able to use the top bunk (a year from now), which would be the objective of getting a bunk. Since he needs a bed now though I am leaning towards going ahead and getting it now, then he can sleep on bottom until after the move. Thank you for all the answers!
    CorgiMomma

Answer by CorgiMomma at 10:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2009