Back labor question?

Can you have contractions in only one side of your back?

megclark22

Asked by megclark22 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its probably your sciatic nerve and not contractions. The baby may be on the nerve causing pains that feel like contractiosns
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• contractions. let me fix my spelling.
    brailynsmama08

• Back labor is unbearable pain. You will definitely know if you are having back labor!  When my contractions started with my first child they were five minutes apart and thought........wow! this is nothing.  As soon as active labor began it was over for me, the epidural didn't do anything for me.  I hope your baby's head positions itself correctly so he/she will not cause you back labor.

Anonymous

• Sometimes, I did. It depended on how I was sitting and how my son was laying. I didn't realize they were contractions, but I had to have weekly monitoring. Everytime achiness would crawl up my spine, the readings on my contractions would go up. It was generally my lower half and half the time the left side was stronger. I also have sciatica, which was killer. I'd feel that more toward my right side, and it was upper back. That was a different kind of pain, though-- it was more sharp.
    angelmunky

Answer by angelmunky at 4:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• spinningbabies.com

Some stuff on there that will help rotate the baby if you are indeed having back labor, do it now before real l;abor starts. Sometimes just getting baby to turn will actually allow your body to go into labor if that is whats holding you up. More pressure on your cervix will stimulate your brain to make more oxytocin and it helps if baby is in the LOA position. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009