Ovarian cyst question

ReneeK3 was awesome and answered a question for me. I never knew that ovarian cysts were caused from unreleased eggs. Makes sense since I have been on the nuvaring for about 2 years and now that I am not on the ring...I have cysts. Am I more susceptible to have multiples now since I know the eggs are trying to come out?

I don't want to get my hopes up but if I ovulate like I am supposed to this week then maybe I will release more than one egg.

Thank you Renee. Maybe you can come be my nurse practitioner and answer any other question I have. She ROCKS!

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Follicles grow eggs each cycle. Normally only one follicle matures each cycle but sometimes two. If the follicle sits for too long or from a growth disruption, the egg will die and the follicle will never release the egg. Then the follicle becomes a cyst filled with nothing but fluid. They are painful when they burst and often doctors will remove them or use birth control to shrink them. I have thirteen cysts in my left ovary because it does not release follicles and hasn't for some time.

So if your question is, does a cyst contain an egg? No, they don't. A cyst is simply a follicle that failed to release because the egg "died" due to a growth disruption or from sitting too long. Often this happens with PCOS, which is what I have.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 5:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2009