Establish a nighttime routine...

I had my son a week ago yesterday. Is it too early to try to establish a nighttime routine? He sleeps good through the day wakes up for about 3 hrs throughout the day. He sleeps till 11 pm we change him, feed him, play music and rock to sleep.. He sleeps till 1:30 wakes up we do the same thing. He wakes up again around 4 am we do the same. He wakes up again at 6:30 am.. Is he doing ok??

newmom2be202

Asked by newmom2be202 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• congrats mama! sounds like you're doing great! when my son was that age I always made sure he was changed, fed, and I rocked him, sang a song, sometimes read a rhyming story and laid him down. he also got a spngebath every few days (unless he really needed it lol) once he got older and stayed up longer during the day, I only did the story thing before "bedtime". these days when my son is ready for bed he always gets a bath, story/song and bed! i was always more about routine than schedule. schedule doesnt work for us since he doesnt always wake up the same time everyday. but routine, absolutely!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Sounds like he set his own routine. Babies are gonna change their rountines a lot until they get to be toddlers, and even then they don't do what you set for them to do. At this stage, you could set a routine, but you'd just be disappointed. It'll change a lot so don't get too comfy with this. Mine did what yours is doing and then she got gas and was up all night crying for hours. Kids are unpredictable at this stage. When he get older like 3-4 months then it might be wise to start a rountine.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 5:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009