my son will turn 5 in june, the challenge is he does not speak english because he spent 4 years of his life outside the united states... i enrolled him to start kindergarten in september but i m trying to enroll him this summer in an english calasses for kids and i m not finding any preschool that offers a program like that-- please help-- i m lost -- thank you

the kid is very alert and he wants to learn english -- he goes to pbs kids and plays games and he knows the alphabets by heart, but he does not speak english yet-- -- he asks me all the time about the meanngs of words in english i tel him and translates to the natie language we kind of have fun doing that but i don't think it's sufficient for him to learn english fluently -- i m lost it looks like there are no programs in my state for kids from other countries-- beside that daycares/preschools are expansive they don't offer programs to teach english for kids who don't know english -- please help me if you have any ideas --thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOTS of schools in my area offer ESL classes (English as a Second Language). There are even some churches that offer them! I'm not sure where you are located by try googling "(your city and state) ESL classes" and see what you can come up with.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is it Spanish? You could try some different books or talk with the school and see if there are any bilingual teachers, there usually are. ESL programs are offered everywhere. I'd try a community college, church, and reading books. Think how you would teach any kid a new language. It's gonna be hard, but he's young and wants to learn so I think he's got a good shot. Just be supportive and repetion is the best way to learn.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 4:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Try www.starfall.com. It's a pretty popular site amongst teachers.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Rosetta Stone is a great program, expensive, but very effective. Also start doing flash cards with him as well. If he asks for something in his native language, before giving it to him, ask him what is the word in English. My daughter does sign language, and she is not just allowed to sign for things she wants, I make her say the word with it. Having him say it in both languages preserves his natural language, and also teaches him English.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I also think just talking in English around him and giving him simple phrases he can say would help a lot. He sounds very smart! Have you looked into an immersion school? They teach half the day in one language, and half the day in English.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 11:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try just talking to him in English. When my 5 yo doesn't understand what we are talking about in Spanish we rephrase what we'd said in Spanish. Even though he is not speaking it fluently he understands what we are telling him. Also he knows that he can only speak with his father in Spanish (he knows some English but wants our son to speak fluent Spanish) Carlos will ask me how to say things and repeat it to his father. They learn very fast at this age. GL
    Anonymous