How can i get my 7 Month old to sleep threw the night??

My son is 7mons old! I rock him to sleep every time he goes to sleep!! Naps & Bedtime!! Some ppl tell me to just lay him down and let him cry himself to sleep.(no longer than 5mins)To help him learn how to self sooth!! And others tell me to just keep rocking him???
I want him to learn how to self sooth himself & sleep threw the whole night!!! He wakes up 3-4x a night!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

mommy2b421

Asked by mommy2b421 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you against CIO?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• nothing wrong with rocking him to sleep at this age! after that, when you lay him down, give him a few minutes to settle. afterall it might take a few for him to find a comfortable position or "let it all out" from any stimulation he experienced that day. everytime my son fussed, SO and I would take turns running to the rescue, but we discovered it was only distracting him from falling asleep. we learned to give him about 5 minutes or so. if he continued or it escalated we'd glady pick him up, burp him, nurse him, whatever he needed. then eventually he understood we were in the other room and he learned to self soothe if a noise woke him up!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh you need to let him cry. No more of that rocking girl or he will never learn to fall asleep by himself.
    I know it sucks but crying is not going to hurt him and he needs to learn to soothe himself.
    So just lay him down with a sippy cup of milk and let him cry it out.
    You will be surprised how quickly they will learn.
    Good Luck
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 4:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is 9 months and I had the same problem. I was drinking a pot of coffee a day just to get through it. I read a book recently by a sleep therapist. I also rocked my son to sleep and he had a pacifier. We started with taking the pacifier away. In 3 days he was able to fall asleep without it. Then I started the next step (the hardest part for me) We have always had a night time routine but not a nap routine. I had to establish a nap time routine first...I basically read him a short story while he had a bottle then layed him in bed and said "its sleepy time". I did this for night time also...plus bath etc..BUT after about 5 days of yes....crying it out...he learned how to fall asleep..now he sleeps through the night and I have been getting solid 1-2 hour naps 2 times a day. I have the book on my computer if you are interested. SAVED my SANITY.....
    Kriscraw12

Answer by Kriscraw12 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Letting a baby "cry it out" is so mean to me....I mean, they are just BABIES for Gods sake! They grow up SO fast and before you know it, your kid wont want to even give you a kiss when you drop them off at school so saver the closeness that you are able to have with your baby, its not harming anything by rocking him to sleep, trust me, they eventually learn to sleep on their own! This season of yours and your babys life wont last forever!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009