• In the Spotlight:

my sisters baby isn't doing much yet

Is this normal my sister everytime she sees babys his age doing things she asks why he isn't yet. All he can pretty much do is roll and he just learned how to do it like 2 weeks ago. he is going to be 9 months old on April 22. He doesn't get up on his knees yet, doesn't push up, he only sits up if you prop him he can't sit on his own yet, he doesn't pull himself up yet, is this normal? That he isn't doing these things yet. He will be 1 on July 22nd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does your sister work with him. he has to be taught how to get up on his hands and knees and how to sit and pull himself up. Was he a premie or does he have a learning disability you are aware of? Your sister may need to work with him. I have a friend who's baby is 6 months old and he doesn't roll, sit or anything yet but she doesn't work with him, she says he will learn when he is ready but a baby has no clue unless you teach them.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• By 9 months old my baby was walking, but all babies are different. Some are just slow. If she is concerened she should see the doctor.
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 4:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• it's not healthy to compare babies milestones! every baby develops differently. many babies dont walk at 1 year! if she is concerned she can always speak with the pediatrician. they usually ask about milestones at well visits anyways. if they ask if the baby can sit up on his own, she says no, and there's a problem, they'd let her know! has she tried encouraging him? theres lots of toys out there to assist with milestones
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• That is the same with my girls the oldest was walking at a day before she turned 9 months my yongest was 10 or 10.5 months, but I thought maybe cause mine are girls hers is a boy and boys are slower. He was born a week before due date so no premie he was 6 pounds and 7 ounces or something like that though. No he doesn't have learning disabilities as of I can see. My sister lays him on the floor but achually just started doing that when he was like about 6 or 7 months old before he was never on the floor he was always in the playpen or his swing. He was never on the floor the first time unless I had him until he was around 6 or 7 months
    Anonymous

• aaah well that could be it! not really having the freedom to move around on the floor plays a big role in "slower development" (imo). but better late than never! he'll catch up just fine as long as she keeps doing whats she doing now!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It isn't fair to compare babies at their age. Kids do stuff when they are ready. By now I would think her doctor would think something is up if they thought something was wrong.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 5:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My first was walking at 9 months second is now 12 months and is starting to walk now. Every baby is different but I think you should 'work' with them too. Sit the baby up and play with him, etc. I think they tend to be a little slower developing if they are just left alone to play, etc all the time.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009