I am at the end of my rope...PLEASE HELP

I feel like I am gonna go nuts...REALLY. My oldest DD is 4 1/2 years old and has been potty trainned for quite some time. She will NOT go pooh on the potty. This started about a week ago. It's almost like she is having a panic attack about going. I don't know what this is about, and it's driving me UP THE WALL. I have been very soft spoken with her, and very understanding. However, it's getting to the point that I almost can't deal with it anymore. She starts to act all whiney, and can't sit still when she has to pooh. Then, once she does go, she doesn't cry as she is going or anything like that. I need advice..and I need it now. PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there a new baby or new pet in the house? Have you recently moved? Sometimes, in reaction to a new situation, a child will regress in her behavior. She will pretend to be a baby because she wants the same attention as a baby would receive. I would recommend not giving this behavior attention in the least and praise her for doing big girl things such as drawing with markers or dressing herself. Plenty of positive attention for positive behavior and zero attention for negative behavior should help get ger back on track. As an alternative, she could simply be constipated. Try adding more fresh fruits and vegetables if you feel this is the case. I would love to hear more about her progress. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 7:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Where does she poop? In her pants?

It sounds to me like she is looking for attention....What does she do if you completely ignore her and just let her "deal with herself"?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Might I also add that she has been doing other things...such as if she wants a fork, she tells me "I don't know how to get a fork..." or "i don't know how to get a juice box"..she knows how to do all this....
    Anonymous

• What if you don't do it for her? What does she do?
    Anonymous

• she will get it for herself after about 5 mins...
    Anonymous

• I would just tell her that she can't go to the big kid school unless she can poo in the potty. That's the honest rules around here. Preschools and Kindergartens in this area will not take children that aren't completely potty trained so this is not a lie. But as a mom I would use it as some leverage and wouldn't let her join an activity until she is totally potty trained. If you have problems with her, just say, "I'm sorry, but that's their rules. Unless you can pee and poo in the potty they won't let you join." It might be harsh, but so will the teasing when she goes to school with a pull-up in her lunchbox.

tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 8:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• PS potty trained means going pee and poo in the potty. If both are not accomplished then she isn't fully potty trained.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 8:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009