Anyone else with scoliosis find some relief?

I don't have insurance and learned last year that I have scoliosis. I only got in one appointment at the chiropractor before my insurance was interrupted. The whole right side of my back pulls tight. Effects my right leg too. Sleeping on a heat pad is the only thing that helps. Is there something else I don't know about? I searched online and only found things about back braces for it.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Health

• My mother has had scoliosis her entire life. The only thing that has consistently helped her was yoga. She swears by it.

I had a friend in school that had it, and she was put in a brace that helped to straighten her spine over time. I don't know if this is an option for you, assuming you're an adult.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My mother and grandmother both have scoliosis. I have a hip that is higher than the other. It is related but my back is strait. It is still sometimes painful b/c it throws your whole body out of alignment.

But there is ONE thing that can really relieve pain for a while. Its called a walking epidural. My mother had one. Just like having an epi for childbirth but you can get up and walk immediatly.

It relieved her pain for sometime. The effects on every person is different. some people it affects for a few months, others for a couple of years.

With my mother it lasted for a couple of years, but even now her pain is not as great as it was right before her epi.

Talk to your Dr about it and see what they say. It might be something that would help you.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• www.eorthopod.com Search for Adult Degenerative Scoliosis There is info on the epi down towards the bottom. Also about surgery. The surgery alternative sounds scary, I would have to be in serious pain before I would consider that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• yoga sounds good because the chiropractor was stretching my back muscles. makes sense. ummm yeah a back brace wouldn't be too cute : )
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009