Do you think it's rude to tell people what they should buy your kids for gifts?

My SIL has been telling people what they should get her kids. She don't just recommend things. She tells you what to buy. When it's clothes, she specifies brands. Things the lazy broad don't buy for them herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's only rude if the no one is asking the gift giver. Specifying brands is still rude even if asked what is wanted.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• no one is making you buy these things and also what does she do if you dont buy it?
    Anonymous

• if its like a this is what i want for them thing than ya. but if someone asks and she says well they need/like this, or this fits best or whatever than no
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It's rude when not asked. I can see if people are asking what your child may need but to come out and say that is very rude.

Anonymous

• One of my friends registers for her daughters birthday every year. And if you buy something else she will bring it to your attention that it was not on the registry and she will return it and buy something that was! It makes me nuts! But at the same time, I don't want to not buy anything, cause its not her daughters fault. Some people are so rude.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 6:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my sil does the same thing...yet everytime it is my daughter's birthday she doesn't get her anything! I always like to buy for my nephews, but I don't need her to tell me WHAT TO GET THEM! I find it very rude!! She is always telling me to buy their clothes at the mall, no Walmart brand! I think that if she buys them walmart brand, I should be able to too!! I buy walmart brand for my dd and she still always looks cute!
    Anonymous

• I will tell someone some ideas if they ask. Otherwise, it's up to them. The only time I ever told people what NOT to buy was Barney. I just absolutely cannot stand Barney, so I asked people to please not buy my kids anything with Barney. But I was very polite about it, and if someone had bought Barney anyway, I would have just smiled and said thank you and let it go.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• poster
    yep my sil will return it, sell it, give it away...one year she demanded nobody buy her girls anything red because she could not stand the color. (clothes) She had everyone pitch in for her kids birthdays and get the Princess bedroom stuff...one year later she asked for them to all get the Hannah Montana and Tinkerbell. Everyone was dumb enough too.
    Anonymous

• I dont think its rude.
    I told everyone coming to my daughters birthday to buy her only clothes
    because her gma bought her hundreds of dollars worth of noisy toys and dvds.
    I was running out of clothes for her to wear so I said if you bring a gift to please
    bring clothes 12-18 months or books. I dont think its rude. Its better to tell people
    what you need then to have then bring you 1230948109324812098 toys that clutter.
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 6:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i dont think its rude if they ask. I guess it just depends on the person and the friends lol
    saying not to buy red is just weird!! but suggesting a certain character is different. I usually always ask what the kid wants or needs. I hate buying stuff I know the kid is not going to get any use out of!
    KylonsMom

Answer by KylonsMom at 6:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009