fever...

my 71/2 month old son has been running a fever of 102 all day i have given him Tylenol but no help..... he is unusually cranky and has a little cough... should i wait till tommarow and call the docter.. or hospital.. or just wait it out.. he has never had a fever before and im not sure what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he could have an ear infection, 102 isn't considered high for a child that age, so just keep the tylenol and pleanty of fluids and call and make an appointment to see the doc tomorrow am
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 102 isn't anything to jump to conclusions about just quite yet. I would just wait it out if today is the first day with the fever. If it gets any higher then I would maybe take him to the Dr just to make sure that everything is okay. Maybe try to give him a cooling bath. That brings fevers down. and make sure that you keep him hydrated!!! Push the fluids!

Anonymous

• I would rotate Tylenol and Motrin. See how the baby does for a day or so, if still running a temp, call the doctor. Infants cna be given Motrin starting at 6 months. Tylenol is every 4 hours, Motrin every 6 hours. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 6:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• According to the ER doctor at my hospital, a fever is not an emergancy in an infant until it reaches between 103 and 105.

He says that "fever is babies friend", it is helping them build antibodies.

My suggestion is, for now, keep offering fluids (if he won't take formula/breast milk, offer some Pedialyte) and just try to keep him cool.

If he becomes lethargic, refuses any fluids at all, and/or is still running a fever at 102 tomorrow, call his pediatrician.

But, you know, thats just me and my suggestion.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• **you aren't supposed to use Motrin for a fever that low. It has to be above 103 to treat with Motrin-by the way**
    Anonymous

• You can give Motrin for any fever, even instead of Tylenol. Just make sure the baby can take it! It makes all of mine sick (puke) if they take it.

If the Tylenol didn't do anything to lower the fever, call the doctor and see what they say. I was told that if they have a fever (even at 102) and after 1 hour it had not dropped...or if it went down,but then spiked the following hour..to call the doctor back.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with Carolyn. I work at a Children's hospital and a fever of 102 is considered beneficial.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

Look at that
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• if tylenol is not bringing it down at all g oto er, if it is bringing it doown some call dr
    either way baby should be seen tonight or tomorrow morn
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• peds nurse here temp does not have to be 103 to use mortin!!
    call doc
    Anonymous