What age would u let your child have a cell phone?

sassylitmom

Asked by sassylitmom at 6:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• weve already decided to let our daughter have a cell when she gets to first grade.
    Anonymous

• When you start letting them go out on their own but want them to check in every hour or so, maybe around 13-15...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 6:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• First grade!?! Are you kidding me?? That is absolutely too young! JMO. I say when they start driving.16.
    Anonymous

• Our son was 13 when he got his cell phone, daughter will be around same age to before she's allowed to have one,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son is a very mature almost 10 yo. I mostly got him one so I can keep track of him - when he is at his dads or out in neighborhood with his friends. Its just nice to have. Its funny I will see him texting his friends and I just cant believe how much the world has changed and is changing.

p.s. Most of his friends have one as well - I think for the same reason I do. These are all 9-10 yo, in 4th grade.
    Anonymous

• I had one at age 15 so I say around that age will work
    sassylitmom

Answer by sassylitmom at 6:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 13
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 6:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter was 5 when I got her one. When she was with her dad, I wanted her to be able to call me whenever she wanted to and if she ever needed me. That was the only time she used it. She is 11 now and she is very responsible with it. She is only allowed to text me, her dad, and my husband. One of her classmates texted her once and she sent a text back to her & said "please don't text me, I'm not allowed" ... I'm so proud of her!!
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Soon as they get a job :D
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 6:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• When they can legally hold a job and pay for one themselves. That's most likely the time they'll have a license. I would have their phone added onto my line and they would be paying me the difference.

Any younger than that is too young! Know where your children are, who they're with, and what they're doing! People survived just fine without cell phones over the years.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009