Should my toddler advice me everytime she needs to go potty?

She usually just sits down and does her business , should she let me know everytime she's getting ready to go?.How will I know when she needs to go when we go out? And how will I know she is ready and done with training?

Lotttssss of questions about this is so complicated! lol

UniqueKate

Asked by UniqueKate at 7:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she doesn't need your help, then she doesn't need your help.
    However, when you are getting ready to go out, have her try to go. Then keep an eye on her while you are out. Make certain she gets regular chances to go (every 2 hours) and make certain you know where a bathroom is if she starts to do the potty dance. When kids are home, they know their surroundings and are at ease. When they are out, they can be overwhelmed by all the new things to see, hear, and do and may forget that they have to go. It's your job when you are out to keep an eye on the clock and on her so she gets a chance to pee before it's too late.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Since she is independant enough to take care of it at home you just need to teach here to tell you when you are out. Everytime you go out remind her to tell you if she needs to go. Also ask her periodically if she needs to go. Of course you will need to carry a change or even two for a while.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Also, learn her potty signs. Some kids will have "signals" that they need to go potty (my son would grab his crotch). Then just say, "Looks like you need to go potty." If she doesn't have a body sign, then she should just tell you when she has to go while out or use your judgement on when she's had food/drink and when you think would be the most opportune time to go potty (i.e. before you get in the car to go back home).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My 2yr old is potty trained and rarely tells me at home when she goes. She tells me when she is done so I can help her wipe. If we are out in a store she just tells me she has to go and I take her. It was never a big deal at all and I never had to train her to do it. She has never had an accident in a store either. Guess I just got luck with her. My older kids were so hard to train...
    abmm

Answer by abmm at 7:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009