Whole milk and kids

So I know when you take your child off of formula your suppose to start giving whole milk. But at what age do you stop whole milk and start with 2%.

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I went right to 2% milk. Kids do not need all the fat that is in whole milk. They get enough fat in other foods....yogurt, cheese,etc. Once my child was over 2 we did 1% milk and by the time he was 8 it was and still is skim milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• General rule of thumb I've heard is at 2 years, and then go non-fat or 1%.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We were told that unless the kiddo is underweight that 2 years is the time to switch. We did it gradually, like 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 2%. Then 1/4 and 3/4.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is there any reason why? I totally don't get the milk percentages.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well whole milk has all the cream still with it. 2% has half, 1% has about 1/3, and skim has no cream. Oh as for the question 2 years.
    Dariosmom

Answer by Dariosmom at 7:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Fat content, pure and simple. Trying to help kids moderate fat intake, especially when they are heavy milk drinkers (the whole "milk it does a body good" marketing makes one think it's the only source of calcium). If your child is not a heavy milk drinker, then you can stick with higher fat content (like 2% or whatever), but in generaly, it's too much fat for daily intake of heavy milk drinkers.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My mom (who is no doctor but has her own theory on things) thinks kids should get whole milk until at least age 5.If you talk to a nutrionist they say 2 is the norm to switch them over but I will prob give it to him however long he wants it. I know whole milk is fattier then the others but it is also great for brain devleopment (we had this 'discussion' at Easter dinner actually) and according to the doctor at the table (a real one not my mom lol) she said when she has kids she will have them drink whole milk til they are at least 14 yrs old bc their brains do so much growing and slow down around 14. I don't get it either but thats why I decided i'll just let him drink it until he (or if he ever) say he doesn't like it.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 7:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• not before 2 - the fat is needed for brain development
    at the 2 yr old check up talk to doc
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my kids are 15 and 10 and still get whole milk, but they are skinny minnies, so I don't worry about the fat content
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Our pediatrician had us go right to 2%. The kids were at the top of the growth charts and didn't need all that extra fat.

The fat they need for "brain development" is available in other, daily foods.
    Anonymous