Do any stay at home moms feel hopeless?

When you stay at home and don't work do you feel hopeless when it comes to money? When something happens to my hubby at work, I tend to get angry, like we can never just get ahead. I hate the whole living paycheck to paycheck thing. I know by next year he will be making a much better salary but then we will owe over 6 figures for student loans. Does anyone else just get depressed by it all?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I hate how we live pay check to pay check.
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have you ever read any of Dave Ramsey's books? He has a book called Financial Peace and another called The Total Money Makeover. I totally recommend either one, but The Total Money Makeover is a very detailed step by step guide on how to make a budget and live by the budget, how to pay down your debt and lots of other really good advice. It's very popular, so your library should have it. He also has a show, The Dave Ramsey Show, on Fox Business at 8 pm EST, a website www.daveramsey.com AND there is an awesome group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans. Join the group, you can get tons of good advice, ideas and best of all it is filled with supportive non-judgemental moms.
    To answer your question....I have felt helpless about finances in the past, especially once we had 2 children close together and I started staying at home. But now I have hope and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Look into Dave, good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I sure do. I have no control over the money but I sure stress about it. Bills are piling up and I can't do anything about it. We have four kids and we can't afford daycare so I stay home and there is only one income. It's hard. I can't help but worry. I feel like I need to do something but what can I do? I do feel hopeless.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 7:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I was a SAHM mom for 8 months & now I work. My son is in daycare. I hated not making it my own money & depending on my mother. They majority of my "income" was giftcars to Target & Wal-Mart from my aunt. My boyfriend is awesome & loves his son to death, but he's the kind of guy who can't keep a job because of [insert variety of excuses here]. I don't have to pay any rent b/c I stay w/ my mom, so I will be able to save up money. But I still feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I feel so stuck. My boyfriend is depressed & I keep telling him that he's going to have to man up & do something besides being depressed all the time. I don't...can't...depend on him financially, so when he wants to get off his butt instead of just talking about getting off his butt, maybe there'll be a silver lining. But right now...I'm worried about myself & my son....but our financial situation still looks quite bleak.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I am a SAHM, have been forever, and I know exactly how you feel about finances, but this isn't unique to one income families, everybody has struggles in life. Just because you are home certainly doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't earn extra money to help your hubby. I have been providing childcare in our home for over twenty years and I also cater, and provide other domestic services to use my time and energy to earn money for our family while still devoting myself to them wholeheartedly. Have you considered providing a service from home to help out in this area? That would allow you to share your talents and help relieve the financial pressure too:-)

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 8:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• You don't have to be a SAHM to feel that way. DH just found out he's being laid off in two weeks.

And we were just getting back on top of things. Good thing I've got two jobs.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know the feeling!! I recently had a baby and quit my job. I went from making 35,000 to not making anything. Im stressing even though my husband makes well. I am having to train myself to pass the stores that I am so used to stopping and buying whatever I want from. I have an 11 year old and a now 3 month old so its been a while since I have had to worry about any of these issues.
    AandKMom

Answer by AandKMom at 10:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• OMG! you sound just like me! I am a SAHM, and my hubby busts his butt everyday so that i can, and we cant get ahead either! The worst part, i will NOT put my DD in daycare until she can talk and explain why she has a bruise on her and what not, and even if i did get a job, it would cost almost just as much to pay for childcare. and i cant get one at night because my hubby never knows when he has to work late, and is on call every night if something happens! even worse i feel bad because all i do is bitch that we have to pay for his school loans that are $300 a month! he didnt get grants because he was under 21 and his dad HAD to co-sign so they used his income even though we lived on our own, and his dad doesnt have a mortgage anymore, so his debt to income was great! I cry about it a lot! and the part that hurts the most is we are filing bankruptcy :( b/c we cant do it anymore. and cant get any assistance of any kind! GL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I do babysit in my home, but there are so many people in my area looking for kids to watch and no one looking for their child to be watched. It down right sucks! I sometimes feel bad for wanting to bring a baby into this crazy world. I dont think we are anywhere near being better as a whole i think we are FAR off still!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have you ever thought about a work at home job, you don't have to sell make up or candles to work at home. I got started because I HAD to find some extra income. You can read all about the companies I work for at Work At Home. Everything I list is free!

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009