Pagan: medical question

Hi there, I was just browsing the pagan/profession question. You said that alot of pagans tend to go into the medical field. And now I have a question, what do you guys think of western medicine.

I personally am not all that into the pharmeceutical push that it has. Don't get me wrong Docs help alot of people. And maybe this is stereotypical, but I promise I mean it in a good way. Aren't pagans supposed to be more into natural healing type things?

So if you are pagan does that influence your outlook on healing/medicine/doctors/vacines/remedies/nutrition/etc.
Are you more eastern or western?
Are you a pill popper or a leaf boiler?

:)

Thanks

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL I definitely avoid as much pill popping as possible. A nice walk along with a cup of tea or a visit with friends can fix many situations. But that is what I do for myself. If a person needs meds then by all means they should listen to their doctor. But my doctor understands that I do NOT like to put things in my body that are not natural and he recommends natural products accordingly.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I just want to add that I tend to follow a more natural philosophy for healing. And I get harassed alot for it. I hate to generalize, but a lot of Christians think synthetic pharmeceutical drugs will solve all their problems. Also, a lot of science minded people think that laboratories can heal any problem around.

I personally think (this is only my opinion) that God has given us the ability to stay healthy as well as nurture health through the foods, plants, sunlight. I mean I do go to the doc when I have to but I would rather stay away.

I have some Christian friends that are more natural, but not many. Most of my "all natural" friends have either pagan or eastern worldviews.

What do you guys think?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Personally I think it's a bit of both for me. I usually try or use herbs and homeopathic remedies first but for major things I don't have a problem using western medicine. I had a really awesome doctor who was really in to naturopathy (I believe he called it) and everything he prescribed for me worked, be it plant based/ herbal or chemical (for lack of a better word).
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think there is definitly a large un-necessary dependancy on chemically made remedies. However, there are some that definitly have advantages over herbal remedies. I think there needs to be a better balance.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• there are alot of herbs that help with healing
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Lets not forget accupressure.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh yeah, including using "alternative" healing methods... some work better than "actual" treatments...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I prefer to do things naturally but I am not above medical intervention. I don't believe that everything can be cured with hot water and a little tea... But I also don't run to the doctors for every sniffle... I do not believe in vaccinations, but it has nothing to do with religion. It's got more to do with personal education. My hubby is christian and doesn't believe in vaccinations either. I just took a Midol, so I can't say that I don't medicate, but I don't medicate FIRST. IF I can deal w/o pills, I do. But if not, hey, that's why they are there. My mother (a JW) is a masage therapist and a neutritionist, so alternative healthcare is just something I grew up with...

I don't have all the natural healing stuff down pat yet, but I'm learning... Hopefully I will get better in time, but for now, I thank the Gods for Tylenol every once in a while.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I dont have a particular side.
    I do what feels will benefit my family the best. If that means an herbal or naturopathic remedy then Ill go for it. If it means using prescription meds, then I do that.

I worked for a naturopathic dr for a couple of years and learned a lot about listening to my body and things that benefit that arent chemical based. It was a great time(even tho the boss sucked LOL), I learned a lot.

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm not pagan but I think it's best to find natural ways of taking care of oneself. Meditation, herbs, hypnosis, prayer, healthy diet, etc. But I also think GOD created doctors, too. So if the natural stuff isn't working, it's best to seek medical help.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009