• In the Spotlight:

i heard this, but is it true?

10 years ago I had a friend in high school that lived in a foster home. she said she was NOT being taken care of, the man would hit on her (sexually). She told me most families do it for the money. is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some do and some don't. It all depends on the person and they are better about doing home checks and things now.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Some
    Anonymous

• I've heard of it happening.
    Anonymous

• Most foster parents do get the children just for the money, sad but true. The kids are either physically, sexually or mentally abused. The homes are not permanent so the foster parents don't really care. But there are some instances where foster homes are focused on the well being of the child. My aunt for example had 13 biological kids and when they got older she started a foster home and every last one of her foster kids came back after they got grown to visit her because she cared.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My sister was in one that does. It depends on the family. I think most do it for the money, but some really do care. My half-sister does it and she really does care.

Dariosmom

Answer by Dariosmom at 7:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i wouldnt say most - but a fair share of them.....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• so why should we call cps on someone just to place the kid in another crappy home?
    Anonymous

• Because depending on the circumstances a foster home might be better. Read a child called it, if you do not believe me. Besides most foster homes do take care of the kids even if they are in it for the money.
    Dariosmom

Answer by Dariosmom at 7:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I did not do it for the money. Honestly, it cost me more to take care of the kids than what we were paid, so I was donating, plus we didn't get paid anything for our TIME either.
    dolphincjc

Answer by dolphincjc at 8:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't know how they could do it for the money, they don't get a whole lot for being foster parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009