Disciplining your Child.

How many of you mommies actually believe in spanking as a technique for disciplining your child?? Be honest please, and you can answer anonymously...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I, for one am sick and tired of hearing how spanking is hitting. Spanking can be hitting but it is not automatically hitting. Spanking, administered the correct way: loving discipline, is by far not hitting and the child that is not disciplined is not loved nor is he able to know that he is loved. If a child isn't shown that they are loved, they don't love themselves or anyone else. You can't give what you don't have. I don't and won't ever beat the hell out of my kids. BUT!! I will discipline my kids for disrespect and/or disobedience. They all will tell you that I have never hit them and that they know I never will. The key to proper discipline is self control.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Heyul yes, and I don't answer anonymously.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 7:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't. It's not effective with my dd. When I tried it, I felt like I was teaching her to hit. It wasn't a good feeling at all. I do believe that sometimes, appropriate spanking is necessary for some children.
    Anonymous

• I use appropriate spanking with lots of love and TEACHING to go along with it.

I will not answer anon either.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I believe in it. I think once you tell them no 3 times then a pop on the hand or butt is fine. I only do it if its something that can hurt her. Once she gets older we will do time out and spanking if need be. She is only 7 months right now and we will smack her hands if she wont let go of cords and we pop her on the butt if she is throwing a fit over something.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i do it but it doesnt even fase my kids age 4 and 15 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I do sometimes, but not often. My rule is use the hand not a tool. I have an 8-year-old boy and sometimes he just will not listen or do what I tell him too unless he gets a spank. However there is a fine line between a spanking and a beating. My dad used to beat with a razor strap. That is why I only use the hand.

Dariosmom

Answer by Dariosmom at 7:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Um, I can say that I do spank my girls but not beat them. There is a difference between spanking and beating. When I was growing up, we got beat with anything our parents could get their hands on. I spank my girls and tell them I love them. I also send them to a corner next to the door so they can think about what they did. It works and you don't have to worry about being marked as a "bad" parent.
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Spanking is ONE of our forms of discipling....reserved for deliberately defiant behavior.

Now that the kids are older, I can't remember the last time I had to spank one of them, but I did have to threaten it today =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I cannot bring myself to hit her. I come from a voilent, abusive family and there are other ways to teach my children not to do something. If she's in danger, like if shes going to touch a hot stove then MAYBE i'll smack her hand but im not gonna spank her just because she's being cranky in the store.

Actually... now that i have read christygs post... If my children were older and being deliberatly defiant then i might do it..
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009