Does He Know??

My Son Is 8 Months old and says daddy\dada, mama,hi,and ya... But when he says dada or daddy does he know who is who? Or is he just saying it to say it?

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son babbles mama, dada, baba... but around 10/11 months he said daddy, to the daddy, and while changing his diaper I said "time to change the pee pee diaper" and he said pee pee! I knew by the timing he meant to say those two words (daddy, pee pee). so with your son, it could have very well been direct words! he hasnt said those two words since. and after he said them we asked him "did you just say ___" and he just laughed, in a way saying "yeah I said what you think" lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Some babies know, others are just saying it.
    Anonymous

• most r just saying it. it feels great to say.
    Anonymous

• i think he knows to an extent. i mean he'll say it and mean it but there will also be times when he's just babbling.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 8:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My nephews first word was dada. He has never known his dad, but he heard my kids saying it all the time.
    Anonymous

• Some know, some dont'. By 10 months, most know which parent is called by which name.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My DD looked at me and said momma yesterday but hasn't said it since. She says a whole lot of dada, but I think that it is just babbling.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I was just asking cause when I go into the kitchen and there is a baby gate between us and he wants me he screams momma but today he's just been saying dada all the time.. I was just wondering
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my dd is 9 mos and she rambles dada and papap she doesnt always say them at the right time but when she sees me or hears my voice she crawls towards me or my voice and says MUUUUM or mama or MUUUM MUUUM lol till i pick her up
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughter seemed to say it with recognition early.(7-8 months) Every time my husband would come home from work, she would scream Dada. And when she would talk to me on the phone while I was at work, she would say Mama. But my nephew didn't really seem to get it until he was about 14 months old. He may understand it, but if he doesn't yet, he will soon.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009