what is the ealiest a child can start their period? What is the latest they can start? I am just curious

My DD is only 4 so she has waaaaayyyyyyssssss to go or at least I hope lol but I was just wanting to know what was the earliest a girl can start. When do they start going threw puberty also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is an article on Snopes.com about a little girl in the early 1900s in Lima Peru. I cannot remember her name, but she had apparently started menses as an infant, and someone had apparently raped her without her parents knowing (the father was accused but investigations proved it wasn't him) and she conceived a child and it was delivered by cesarean when she was only 5. I know this is a VERY rare case, but it can happen. Her parents raised her son as their own; he didn't find out who his real mommy was til he was ten. She thought of her son as a dolly. She grew up and went on to later marry and have children with her husband and lived a long life. I think the average is around 8 or 10 though. I started at 13. I have an aunt who started at 8.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 11:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The earliest I personally know of was 3rd grade and I knew a girl who didn't start until she was 17. It has to do with lots of things, including weight. My daughter is 12 and just had her annual check up. The pediatrician said she was just at the very start of puberty and probably wouldn't get her period until she was 14 or 15. Many of her friends are very developed and already have their periods though.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My friends step daughter was 9 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My friend got her period when she was 9 and the latest was my other friend who got her's when she was 14 or 15.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 8:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have heard of an 8 yo being pregnant, so I would guess that she started early.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• She may NOT have a ways to go... the normal age for starting puberty is anywhere from 7 to 15. So make sure you are talking NOW. She doesn't need to know about the birds and the bees yet but make sure she knows you will answer questions about how boys and girls are different and even - in very simple terms - why they are different. Always remember that you should not be planning on a "talk" - you should be laying the foundation for a lifetime of open discussion.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• WOW and 8 year old pregnant. How is that even possible? They achually have sex that young? How can they have a baby that young? You would think they would be to small to push the baby out or even yet you think if you told them to pudh they wouldn't or wouldn't know what to do.

And starting puberty at 7???????? They really start that early?????? WOW!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I personally think it's when they are 9 years old. My aunt used to work at the hospital. They had a 9 year old girl up there that gave birth. literally! I was so shocked!! I mean, I never thought a girl that young could even get pregnant. IT turns out that she was a rape victim and they gave the baby up for adoption. Anyways, to answer your question, the earliest is 9 and the latest is probably 14. I'm not sure about the latest part though...
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think I was 9
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My DD is almost 9 and has had pubic hair for almost 2 years. The doctor said as early as 7, but there was a case of a 3 yr old, and as late as 18. A friend in HS had to go on the pill to start and she was 16. She ended up pg soon after but it took a pill to start her.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2009