Have you heard the new Columbine story?

I just found this article on Columbine and how just about everything that has been said about the incident was false or a rumor.

Intresting reading for the 10 year mark and maybe a bit hopeful (or not...depending on how you look at it)? In that these kids were "wired" from the start to do something like this and it wasn't lack of parenting or bullying or student persecution.

Thoughts on the article?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-13-columbine-myths_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a combination of things, and that article even states that. They were picked on a bit, but that wasn't the ONLY cause. They were suicidal and had mental issues. However, I don't think we should ignore bullying in schools now that they are saying it wasn't a result of bullying. Things like Columbine could still happen because of bullying so I hope they are careful with how they continue to present this information. A lot of anti-bullying programs in schools throughout the US were put in place partially because of Columbine.

Anonymous

• One of my coworkers had a daughter that went to elementary school with I think the Clebold(?) kid. I'm not sure if I have his last name right. Anyway, this was a very long time ago, and the daughter said that Dylan was always weird throughout elememtary school and got picked on or kids just stayed away from him. Even in the old yearbooks the school issued, he looked strange in the photos.
    Anonymous

• Oh, so it's not Marilyn Manson's fault any more?
    Anonymous

• What those kids did was terrible. I don't think we'll ever really know the real truth.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 8:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i never really thought all that stuff was true, except the trench coat thing. i was shocked to see the picture of one of them in plain clothes. ive always thought they were sociopaths, mentally instable. even tho this sounds horrible, i try to look at the positive things this tragedy has brought about. more focus on bullying, violent video games, etc. also most schools have a plan in place for emergencies like these. i just cant believe its been 10 years since this happened. i remember watching the news of it during school.

and that girl being shot after saying she believed in God is true. i remember reading an article written by students that were in the room while it happened. she may not have been shot b/c of that, but she did say that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Anon "However, I don't think we should ignore bullying in schools now that they are saying it wasn't a result of bullying"

No, of course not. Its still an important issue. I just found the article very intresting and the fact that THEY were actually the bullies was a big deal IMO. An example of why we do still need to address the bully issue. Good point...

okmanders "she may not have been shot b/c of that, but she did say that. "
    I think thats what the article was trying to point out. The fact that the rumors about them being 'devil-worshippers' b/c of them asking that question,etc. I don't think that they were denying it was said. Good point and clarification from personal knowledge...

I also found the psych-profiling for the boys to be intresting and very informative. Especially when people were questioning the parents about how they raised their kids....

Good stuff ladies! Lets keep it going...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009