• In the Spotlight:

Is it normal to not see the baby's heartbeat during an internal ultrasound at 6 weeks?

I had an ultrasound today and they could see the sac and the "baby" in it which looked like just a circle. But when I said is that the baby, she said well it's something forming there. Then she said I might see a heartbeat, but Im not sure because it's still so early and she said she couldnt tell us that it's a normal healthy pregnancy because she cant see that much right now. Is this normal?? I go back next week for a regular stomach ultrasound and will then be 7 1/2 weeks, do you think things will look better and more assuring then?

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i saw my baby at 6 weeks and i didnt see a heartbeat at all..i didnt SEE it..but when i was at 10 weeks they heard the heart beat...its pretty normal...the baby is SUPER tiny right now so there isnt much to actually see
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 8:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Six weeks is still a little early to be able to see a heartbeat on an ultrasound. My mother went once a week for ultrasounds )she did IVF) and I want to say it was her eighth week that we saw a heartbeat.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 9:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I saw a flutter for my son's heart at less than 6-7 weeks but that was done with a vaginal ultrasound.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i was 6 weeks when i HEARD the heartbeat but i dont think we actually saw it. you heard one though right?
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 10:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i didn't see or hear my baby's heartbeat at 6 weeks. and the ultrasound just looked like a little round thing. 2 weeks later at 8 weeks there was a lil "bean" with a heartbeat...so I would say it's normal. There's not much to see right now. I was shocked too at first because with my other daughter I found out I was pregnant at 12 weeks and she already looked like a lil baby with arms and legs at that point. I'm sure everything is fine with your lil bean.
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009