can babies taste?

i have an 8 month old baby and my grandma said that she cant taste yet she is just getting use to textures so baby doesnt like carrots and peas and the veges grandma says it is the textures not the taste. i kno babies have tastebuds but are they active or is it the texture that makes her spit out the carrots??

mommynbabygirl

Asked by mommynbabygirl at 8:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes they can taste.
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 8:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't have a professional answer, but I think they can taste. Especially because where baby food is concerned, it's pureed so I think the texture is just about the same no matter the food. Not to mention, smell the peas or green beans and then smell the carrots...............ewwwwwwwww
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• lol, have you ever fed your baby? hehe they taste everything!
    Anonymous

• uh yea they can why do you think they make faces everytime they try a new food lol
    Anonymous

• I think they can taste. My baby accidently managed to get a little salad dressing (oil and vinegar) on his fingers (he likes to grab for my plate a lot) and before I could wipe it off he stuck his hands in his mouth. Boy was that a funny face!
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Grandma is wrong. Babies are born with all their taste buds - actually thousands more than you or I have.
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/senses/sensenewborn.html

It's one of the reasons some breastfed babies will go on nursing strikes - mom ate something that came through the breastmilk and the baby didn't like the taste.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think they can. We had to switch from milk based formula to soy and it took a couple bottles to get her use to it. We also had to give prune juice cause of constipation and she seemed to really enjoy it and downed the 1 ounce of prune juice water mix.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Babies can taste in the womb. They can taste the amniotic fluid. By 13 to 15 weeks a fetus' taste buds already look like a mature adult's.
    Anonymous