How do I get my two year old to stay in his room and go to bed??

My two year old has gotten into the habit of coming out of his room every time I put him down for a nap and bedtime. I have tried eliminating nap time but he gets so grumpy and mean. He used to sleep with the t.v. on but I thought that was the source of the problem (because they say it is a stimulant) so I unplug the tv when he's in there. It takes LITERALLY twenty-five or thirty times to put him back in the bed. I have tried asking him, telling him, assuring him that we are going to be here in the morning and that we will play tomorrow, extending the time he stays up, and putting him back in the bed without a word; I have even tried spanking him. None of the above works. If anyone has any advice please advise lol.

crayolamoo

Asked by crayolamoo at 9:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in the same boat you are in except my son slept in the bed with us and he is 3. I think it is a very bad idea to cut out his nap because you are doing nothing but making yourself crazy and him cranky. and it doesn't make him more tired. it could actually make him restless. i think what you need to do is just be consistent with him and keep putting him back in his room. now you could be up for hours on hours but you have to do whatever it takes. i hope you have some luck.
    Anonymous

• You have to be ready to do it- there will be tears fighting and everything else. I had to do this with DS when DH left to Iraq (so I didn't even have a tag team partner) You have to keep putting him back in bed and telling him "no it is nap time" (or bed time). It could take hours. Just be patient and consistent. The minute he walks out, pick him up, put him in bed say good night and leave the room.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm in the same boat now. My son fights me tooth and nail at nap time and bedtime. I can't get any sleep because of his nonsense. I've taken everything out of his room but the bed and dresser when it's time to sleep and he still manages to get into things by moving his bed over to the dresser and trying to climb it. I threaten time outs, no outside time, no tv time, no toys, no visiting friends/grammy and pop-pop/etc. Nothing seems to get through to him, so I just keep fighting till he gives in and falls asleep. I wish you the best of luck.
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Bring back the nap and move up the bedtime - the more tired he is, the less likely it is that he will fall asleep.
    Then just keep taking him back to bed. Don't say anything, don't scold, don't reassure, don't even look him in the eyes. Just take him back to bed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I can understand what you are going thru... our 1 1/2 yr old daughter wont go to bed before 1 am... and wont got to bed for her dad (i work til 10 pm).... we have tried everything and she continues to fight us and sleep.... if u find anything that works please let me know..... we would appreciate any help we can get! ;)
    kate1227

Answer by kate1227 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2009