ice and pre-schoolers

my daughter just turned 3 in december. she LOVES ice. mainly she likes ice water, but she will start to suck on it or chew it when its small enough (like pepple sized) so im not worried she will choke, she knows you don't put it in your mouth unless its really small. but heres my question, even though its so small do you think it is bad for her teeth? i mean, i'm not one to talk i love to chew ice and i don't do it around her so she didn't see me doing it and start that way

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 9:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i never thought about it but my dd chews ice alot, but it's b/c she's anemic & that's why i "crave" ice too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yes it is bad for her teeth.
    One-it can break her teeth
    two-it can wear her enamel on her teeth down.
    three-it can cause injury to her gums like cuts or gashes
    four-she should see a doctor/dentist because craving and chewing ice could mean she has an iron deficiency anemia.

just take her to her pediatrician and let them decide if she is that. it is common and easily treated with iron drops/pills. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• wow i didn't know that about the low iron, i guess that explains why i love to chew ice, i always have low iron and it gets lower when i'm preg. i'll definately mention that at her checkup at the end of the month. thanks ladies
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2009