Breastfeeding questions

When my baby (3 weeks) is breastfeeding, after she's started with the comfort sucking, every few sucks her chin quivers. Is this normal? Why does she do it?

Also, she'll unlatch and kind move around with her mouth still in the general area of my nipple, but jerking her head and arm around and moving her tongue a lot while making "ah ah" noises. Sometimes she latches back on by herself and other times I stick my nipple back in, then she latches. What is she doing?

Neither of these things seem bothersome, I'm just curious.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 9:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she does that its just because she doesn't have any head control and is trying to find your nipple.
    Anonymous

• The lip quivering is normal, my son did it all the time....the other is rooting...happens in the beginning
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Atleast your baby doesnt scream bloody murder when she loses the nipple. I would have to comfort my baby and work with her for 30-45mins for the first month just just so she would latch on (my nipples invert so it makes it harder for them) and when she would lose it, it would be back to screaming.
    The lip quiver is normal and will eventually go away. And rooting, which is her looking for a nipple that is RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER (lol) is the cutest thing I think. My little girl used to make piggy noises too lol. She will get the hang of it in time.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Totally normal. :) babies experiment with different things to try and make mom's milk come down faster. They're impatient little boogers with great instincts. My son would hum, twitch his nose and lips, unlatch and re-latch, etc. It's instinctual, and wonderful. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2009